Excel help question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Excel help question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:33 am

benjapage wrote:how do you guys learn this stuff? dang...

b

mostly just searching through the Help index. sometimes looking at other people's spreadsheets.

by the way, does anyone know how to get to the help index in office 2003? this online-only help sucks and i can never find what i want. how do i get back to the good old-timey help?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:39 am

RugbyD wrote:
benjapage wrote:how do you guys learn this stuff? dang...

b

mostly just searching through the Help index. sometimes looking at other people's spreadsheets.

by the way, does anyone know how to get to the help index in office 2003? this online-only help sucks and i can never find what i want. how do i get back to the good old-timey help?

Wish I could help you, but I never use the built-in help. The Internet has much better advice than Excel itself could ever give. For instance, look up SUMPRODUCT and how to use it in Excel. Now go to the Internet and learn how to really learn one of the most versatile formulas in Excel.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby mamorris » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:46 am

JTWood wrote:Geez... You guys make it look complicated. Why not just Text to Columns and delimit by commas? That would put the last names in one column and the first names in another. Edit and Replace all spaces with nothing, then do a quick join, if needed, readding the space like this: =B1&" "&A1 where B1 is the first name and A1 is the last.

To each his own, right? Just as long as it gets done.

:-)

1. I did not even know about Text to Columns. Thanks for pointing that out (for anyone who doesn't know, it's on the Data menu).

2. However, when I tried it I ran into problems with 3- or 4-name guys (e.g. Wily Mo Pena, Jorge De La Rosa). It's fine going from "Pujols, Albert" to "Albert Pujols", but it's a major hassle going back the other way. Given that I suppose I'll stick with my original method, since it works both ways.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Wyatt » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:03 am

I found the text to columns in excel & clicked on it. This brings up the wizard box. What do i do next?

In column A EX. Armas, Tony How do I flip this to Tony Armas or vice versa?

Still learning all these technical things.
Wyatt
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers