"Ace" Pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"Ace" Pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"Ace" Pitchers

Postby Big Pimpin » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:09 am

Ok, so most of us have our list of "aces." The guys like Johan, Peavy, Pedro, Halladay, etc. My question is would you rather have one (or even two) of those guys in a Roto or H2H league? It almost seems like it would be more important to try to grab one of those guys in H2H, but maybe I'm off base. I know some of you will say screw pitching and just load up on hitting, but I'd appeciate any thoughts.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:39 am

In H2H, I personally don't like having my team pitching loaded or favored. I prefer a 65/35, 60/40 ratio favoring hitting.

My reason is this...

In H2H if one of your stud SPs has a crappy game then it could really put you in a hole if you are relying on winning pitching by loading your pitching. If a hitter has a bad game it becomes minimal over the entire week.

If they have a bad week it could hurt, but I think it's more likely for one of your SPs to have a bad game than one of your cornerstone hitters to have an entirely bad week.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby giants! » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:30 pm

More important roto, in h2h you could rotate starters and win k's and wins
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hooligan1 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:02 pm

It's probably more important in roto than h2h, but I'm still convinced that hitting wins fantasy leagues. This year, unless Santana falls to my late 1st round pick, I'm avoiding pitchers until somewhere around the sixth or seventh. Last year, one of our owners loaded up on Unit, Schmidt, Oswalt, Zambrano and Nathan in the first five rounds. In an odd bit of symentry, he finished fifth. That said, this is a bit of an extreme example and I wouldn't absolutley say that one should not draft aces in the first few rounds; just be aware that even the best ones can and do have off years and injuries, and that this strategy can backfire on you as often or more than it works........
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby Nene » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:29 pm

Phatferd wrote:In H2H, I personally don't like having my team pitching loaded or favored. I prefer a 65/35, 60/40 ratio favoring hitting.

My reason is this...

In H2H if one of your stud SPs has a crappy game then it could really put you in a hole if you are relying on winning pitching by loading your pitching. If a hitter has a bad game it becomes minimal over the entire week.

If they have a bad week it could hurt, but I think it's more likely for one of your SPs to have a bad game than one of your cornerstone hitters to have an entirely bad week.

Yeah, it can really screw you in H2H if you are relying on pitching. After finishing the regular season with the best record, I got 4th in the playoffs because my SPs didn't produce and my hitting struggled too.
[b]Founder of the Hilarious Homers League[/b]
Nene Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:30 pm

General rule of thumb is to draft an ace in the first 4 rounds. The problem with spending say 2 early round picks on an ace is that some pitching categories are sorta random. Santana, probably the best pitcher in MLB, "only" had 16 wins last year. Colon had 21. So potentially, could make the right pick and your ace stays healthy all year, but is only really helpful in 3 categories instead of 4.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:43 pm

It depends on your league.

If you are in a daily transaction H2H a stud SP is completely useless, its why I don't like those leagues. You simply stack up your bench with SP and zerg pitching.

If you are in a weekly transaction H2H a stud SP has a decent amount of value, on their 2 week starts you get a huge jump on your oppenent and their consistancy makes a pretty big difference.

In Roto with innings limit they are huge, its all about maximizing your stats per IP.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:51 pm

hooligan1 wrote:It's probably more important in roto than h2h, but I'm still convinced that hitting wins fantasy leagues. This year, unless Santana falls to my late 1st round pick, I'm avoiding pitchers until somewhere around the sixth or seventh. Last year, one of our owners loaded up on Unit, Schmidt, Oswalt, Zambrano and Nathan in the first five rounds. In an odd bit of symentry, he finished fifth. That said, this is a bit of an extreme example and I wouldn't absolutley say that one should not draft aces in the first few rounds; just be aware that even the best ones can and do have off years and injuries, and that this strategy can backfire on you as often or more than it works........

Hitting wins championships...absolutely.

You rarely find guys pop out of nowhere that hit 40+ Hrs...you can often scrounge out the bottom half of your staff and most of your closers from the wire.

General rule of thumb is that you need to draft a core of pitching. I would not go to the extreme of not drafting a pitcher until round 6 or 7, but I probably would recommend not draftng one top 2 rounds, grabbing a decent ace in round 3 or 4 depending on who is around and where compared to the hitting options and then looking to draft another starter in round 7 or 8 again depending on what is around. Then wait for the teen rounds if you can to fill in your staff, grabbing hitters and a closer or two prior to that.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:45 pm

Ender wrote:It depends on your league.

If you are in a daily transaction H2H a stud SP is completely useless, its why I don't like those leagues. You simply stack up your bench with SP and zerg pitching.

If you are in a weekly transaction H2H a stud SP has a decent amount of value, on their 2 week starts you get a huge jump on your oppenent and their consistancy makes a pretty big difference.

In Roto with innings limit they are huge, its all about maximizing your stats per IP.

Daily transacton H2H leagues worth their salt have workarounds that removes the problem of cycling 2 start pitchers like you are saying. I'd say pitchers are a bit more important in roto since you want to be good in all the cats, but they are still pretty valuable in H2H. I'd rather have hitting though, due to the fact they are less vulnerable to injuries and bad games.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby quack quack » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:12 pm

I will pick mabey one ace in the early rounds( peavy, Oswalt, Halladay, ect) then load up on hitting in the rest of the first 6-7 rounds. then possibly a good closer when that "time" comes. Heres my reasoning. Last year I took Schilling in the 3rd round hoping for a good season and we all no how that turned out. I won the leage on strong hitting even tho I also waisted a high pick on Beltran. Pitchers like Myers Oswalt Colon and others are what helped me win in pitching and they were all in later rounds exept Oswalt. What Im sayin is pitching can be hit or miss a lot of the time and I would much rather have a strong hitter than a strong pitcher. Plus there is a lot of depth at pitching this year.
quack quack
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers