Max Innings Pitched... can someone explain why you need it? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Max Innings Pitched... can someone explain why you need it?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:58 pm

well I don't want this to happen in my league so what am I supposed to do??
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:03 pm

The main thing is that I want is for pitchers to have value soo I dont know what im gonna do.

I think even standard yahoo leagues keep track of your IP right??? so I'll just tell everyone in the league that the minimum IP is 1200 and that in order for their pitching stats to be valid by the end of the year that they're gonna need to show me their IP.

So if they dont have 1200 IP then their points from P are disqualified.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Eagle Baseball » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:18 pm

lbbaseball14 wrote:The main thing is that I want is for pitchers to have value soo I dont know what im gonna do.

I think even standard yahoo leagues keep track of your IP right??? so I'll just tell everyone in the league that the minimum IP is 1200 and that in order for their pitching stats to be valid by the end of the year that they're gonna need to show me their IP.

So if they dont have 1200 IP then their points from P are disqualified.

I think a 1200 inning min might be to high. I think their default max innings pitched is 1250 based on 7 pitchers.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:02 pm

but we have 9 pitchers
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:29 am

Look at it this way:

162 games x 9 innings = 1458 innings played in a season, not accounting for rain shortened or extra inning games.

1450-1500 innings is perfect. I played in a 2000 IP, 180 games played maximum last year and it was a churn fest of scrub SP's and hitters to decide the winner (me). 2000 IP is too high, even with 9 pitching spots. 1450-1500 should be perfect.

Just explain to your league it is to prevent the excessive roster turnover that unlimited innings limits promotes. Without an inning limit, players can dominate W's, K's, SV's, etc. on sheer volume of players.

Going over 1500 innings is alot like setting the games played above 162. It gets difficult to reach above a certain limit. Active players that manage their rosters with an eye on a relatively balanced full season of play will still be forced to make semi frequent spot starts of FA pitchers to reach 1500 innings. Only a compulsive roster churner abusing a scoring system is going to be restricted by a limit around 1500 IP - IMO.

On the other end of the spectrum, managers should be encouraged to approach or meet these limits, and not create a team of just RP in an effort to win SV, Hold, ERA, and WHIP categories. Balance your SP/RP as you see fit, but at least come close to the max IP.
Last edited by DGroundhog on Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukrneal » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:03 am

You set a limit to prevent churning. Churning is bad (for most) because it requires no knowledge and means that good players are not being held, which means there aren't enough teams or players on teams. Having played like this one year, I found it less than fun to say the least.

Punting can work, but rarely if the league is competitive. Don't confuse punting with not trying to win a category either (which I've heard referred to as punting as well). Most winners will not win all catgories, but will be competitive in all of them.
Last edited by ukrneal on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Third Day » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:34 am

I've noticed some leagues designate specific pitching roster spots.....
SP SP SP SP P P RP RP RP
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 276)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers