Max Innings Pitched... can someone explain why you need it? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Max Innings Pitched... can someone explain why you need it?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Max Innings Pitched... can someone explain why you need it?

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:39 pm

My league is all bitc**** because last year I forgot to put a max innings pitched limit and this year I put a 1350 limit because we have 9 pitching slots and now they're all like Oh , I dont know why we need that because now pitchers are more valuable and you can just load up on pitching. I was trying to explain to them how most leagues have a max innings pitched but for some reason they're being dumb and giving me a hard time about it. For 9 pitchers is 1350 good or should it be like 1400.

Heres our roster setup

C
1B
2B
SS
3B
CI
MI
OF
OF
OF
OF
OF
UTIL

and then 9 P spots
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:45 pm

I think that it's supposed to compel you to play SP smarter and keep people from picking up matchups ('hmmm, Matt Riley's visiting Petco and Sosa's signed w/ the Padres, that should be good for 6K right there!').
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby looptid » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:55 pm

The more counting stats your league uses, the more advantageous it is to pitch a ton of innings. Ws and Ks pile up. The more rate stats your league uses, like ERA and WHIP, the more selective teams should be when throwing a pitcher out on the mound (quality over quantity).

Minimum and maximum innings limits aren't uncommon to prevent people from punting either the counting or rate stats to run away with the other kind cheaply. Another way to regulate things, however, is just to have a good ballance of counting and rate stats. A quick fix for a league that thinks teams throw out too many pitchers is to convert some of the counting stats to rate stats (change W to W% and/or K to K/9). Then bulk won't help.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Max Innings Pitched... can someone explain why you need it?

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:02 pm

lbbaseball14 wrote:My league is all bitc**** because last year I forgot to put a max innings pitched limit and this year I put a 1350 limit because we have 9 pitching slots and now they're all like Oh , I dont know why we need that because now pitchers are more valuable and you can just load up on pitching. I was trying to explain to them how most leagues have a max innings pitched but for some reason they're being dumb and giving me a hard time about it. For 9 pitchers is 1350 good or should it be like 1400.

Heres our roster setup

C
1B
2B
SS
3B
CI
MI
OF
OF
OF
OF
OF
UTIL

and then 9 P spots

Depends on whether it is daily or weekly rosters. In weekly rosters, maxs really are not needed...mins are.

Generally, I would set it the max at about 1550 in a daily league with 9 pitchers, about 1200 for the min. A 6 SP, 3 Closer alignment usually yields in the neighbordhod of 1400-1550 IPs.

I do think you need a min also to keep guys from loading up on closers too much and force them to play a balanced lineup, evenin a daily league.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:18 pm

Its a daily league and the pitching slots can be either starters or closers so I think im gonna go with your suggestion of 1550 innings and minimum of 1200.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:24 pm

wait i just realized that I cant use a minimum because im not in a plust league so i can only set the maximum does this change things or is 1550 still good?
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:38 pm

If the optionis not offered, there is not much you can do about it. I just hate it though when you get some idiot in the league that drafts 6 closers and a few MRs and tries to play that game in leagues. The only way to stop that effectively is to enforce a min high enough so that you have to at least use 4 or 5 starters (which is what real baseball teams have anyway).

1550 allows a team to run a 6 SP, 3 CL allignment, yielding probably about 1400-1450 IPS. It also allows them to switch to a 7 SP , 2 CL alignment without any real concern. What it prevents is someone from loading up on all starters. They will either need to secure two closers or use two middle relievers. I think it is fine, but that is me.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RAmst23 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:49 pm

How well does punting wins completely work?? The top closers go in the early mid-rounds, so you're mid round picks would have to involve all RPs really... I know of the LIMA strategy, but this is a little different.

Anyone tried this out before?
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:51 pm

well if you punt wins you kinda put k's too
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:56 pm

I know. But some guys like to draft hitting instead of starters early. How good your offense likely to be if you do not pick ANY pitching top 9 or so rounds?

Then draft 5-6 closers judicisiously, fill out with hitters and then grab some top, high K MRs at the end....maybe a flier or two on a SP.

You should do very well offenively...do well with Saves and ERA and WHIP...you might squeek out 3 or 4 points on Ks and liekly take a 1 in Ws. I would not recommend this, but I have seen it attempted, esp in H2h leagues.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers