Proof That You Can't Please Everyone - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Proof That You Can't Please Everyone

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Proof That You Can't Please Everyone

Postby JTWood » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:30 pm

VALENCIA, Venezuela -- Time has not healed Ariel Prieto's wounds since the United States Treasury Department approved Cuba's participation in the World Baseball Classic.

Before Cuba was admitted to the international event, some of the country's expatriate baseball players, including Prieto, had entertained the idea of forming a team of Cuban talent in the United States.

"I'm angry now that I can't play in the tournament. I'm really ticked off," Prieto told ESPNdeportes.com. "Cuba has no place in that tournament because it has always criticized professional baseball. If Fidel Castro doesn't want professional baseball, that's his problem.

"Those of us that have deserted because of political reasons could have come up with a team for the World Classic. The United States and MLB are at fault."

Prieto, who left Cuba in 1995, is quick to clarify that he has nothing against members of the Cuban national team; he's simply angry that the island was given permission to play in the WBC.

The former major-league pitcher is currently in the rotation of the Mexican team participating in the Carribean World Series in Venezuela. During the Mexican winter league season, he pitched for the Obregon Yaquis, then joined the Aragua Tigers of the Venezuelan League for their semifinal round.

The 36-year-old right-hander pitched in parts of six seasons in the majors (1995-2001) for Oakland and Tampa Bay, with a 15-24 career record and a 4.85 ERA.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:34 pm

Well, maybe he should petition to form a Cuban exhibition team in Flordia in March to hold grade B intra-sqaud games with the TB Devil Rays. It would amount to something just as meaningful as the WBC.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:38 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Well, maybe he should petition to form a Cuban exhibition team in Flordia in March to hold grade B intra-sqaud games with the TB Devil Rays. It would amount to something just as meaningful as the WBC.

LOL!! That almost caused some Coke to be spit all over my keyboard... :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers