Thoughts on Derek Lee ?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Derek Lee ??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Derek Lee ??

Postby Sweet Lou » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:51 pm

fellow geeks,

Im looking for some thoughts on Derek Lee. He really had a nice year last season .270, 27 Hrs, 86 Ribs, and 19 Sbs.
With the addition of Pudge in Miami, do you think this is now a better offense.....meaning even better numbers in '03 for Lee?
I am trying to decide on how he'll fit into my team. Im in a semi-dynasty, hth, league. ( We keep all but 5 players, just so we can have a fun draft day every year) I have Klesko and Lee at 1B. Who do you think will have the better season? I do have the option of using one of em at the DH spot...but would take ABs away from Larry Walker.
The nice thing about my league, is I can hold on to all of em, and let thier play determine how much Ill use them, so this is not as much as a keeper issue type of query, but rather I am trying to gauge how peoples perception of Lee is, because maybe Ill go with him and trade Klesko.
Any Thoughts?
Sweet Lou
Sweet Lou
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mkoss » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:10 am

If it weren't for Pudge coming to town, I would say they would put up similar numbers, with Klesko hitting about 10 points higher in batting average. But with Pudge getting the first opportunity to drive in Castillo and Pierre, Lee may see his RBI drop.

It's a tough call, but I think you'll do fine either way, maybe a slight edge to Klesko. Personally, I have a thing against Klesko (don't know why) so I would probably take Lee and trade Klesko.

Michael.
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Go with

Postby Ballwreckers » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:15 pm

Klesko would be my choice as far 1st baseman because he is more proven. I would like to see a repeat preformance before I rank Lee over Klesko..not to knock Lee..he is still young and has things to prove.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:46 pm

Personally, I'm a huge Derrek Lee fan. I definitely plan to have him as my starting 1B on more than one team this year. I'm expecting an increase in average, with approximately the same in other categories. If he can reduce his strikeouts (and he showed flashes of brilliance last year), he could hit .300 with 30 HR's and 20 SB's.

The main reason I like him is that I like to go for balanced hitters (i.e. power and SB's) at all positions where possible. That way I don't have to waste a spot on a straight speed guy (especially when the speed guy is like Tony Womack or Roger Cedeno who don't even really hit for average). And Lee looks like the only choice other than Klesko for SB's at 1B. And since I share mkoss's distaste for picking Klesko, so I'd rather just wait a couple more rounds and take Lee. You should be able to get him in the 8th or 9th round (or maybe later) in mixed leagues.

As for keepers... well, you should probably keep Klesko and just draft Lee, if you can. Klesko does have more value.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby trevisc » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:40 am

Derek Lee = Desperate manager.

Stay away unless he's all that's left.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby timstlguru » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:20 am

I think he's mediocre as a 1b
timstlguru
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kashikis » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:27 pm

personally i think he has a lot of potential in him but still hasnt proven himself worthy enough for a starting job and especially over klesko. his steals are a bonus but klesko gets a good amount for a 1b too.

so since you can hold on to both with no big problems i say keep them and see how lee developes this year and keep him on the bench. A good backup 1b is never a bad thing to have
kashikis

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Note

Postby Ballwreckers » Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:43 pm

He is only 27, so he should be coming into his peak. I have seen improvments every year..so I don't see why he shouldn't improve this year and I have to agree that it doesn't hurt to have him as a backup 1st baseman.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Derek Lee?

Postby lab_rats » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:38 pm

what is there to say -

HE SUCKS!
lab_rats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:53 pm

All this hate for Lee? LEE SUCKS? Come on guys. Unless you are in a shallow league, Lee not only is above average, but at 27 likely will hit his peak. His ops last year was just under Oleruds. Lee imo, is a top 12 1b, and climbing. Last year he was 9th in value at 1b. I would love to nab him later in my draft. Lets examine him a bit. Pro Player hurts his hr power alot. In his 3 year splits, he has a 26/50 home road hr split. If he played in a neutral park, or hitter friendly, hes a 30-35 hr guy. His declining groundball/flyball ratio suggests a possible power growth, since more flyballs, fewer grounders increase hr chances. I will stop short of Lee hitting 300. His expected batting avg suggests hes hitting a little over his head avg wise. His speed, is what really helps him. I think 270-30-90-15 sb is possible.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Return to Baseball Leftovers