Not Messing Around: Who's the next Pujols? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Not Messing Around: Who's the next Pujols?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

next puji

Postby oakiedragon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:12 am

I agree delmon has a good chance, but i dont see him putting up a high avg. i expect him to be closer to the .270-.300 range than the .300-.330 range. Also i dont expect him to be a 40 hr. guy more a 25-30 hr. guy, but overall delmon has it all. My choice or choices for the next pujols would be first.
Billy Butler- Butler is only 19 yrs old and has absolutely mashed at every level and looks to get called up at the ripe age of 20. He projects as a .300 or above hitter with excellent plate dicipline and anywhere between 30-40 hr, a season. Also with gordon coming on quickly as well, he has a battery mate to ensure that he either has a consistant man on base and/or protection in the lineup. So i think he has the best chance and comparison.
My number two guess is;
Daric Barton- Barton has the best plate dicipline in the minors and projects as a .330 type hitter with a bonds like ops. His power has not come into its own yet, mostly due to his age but he has tremendous in game power, which is where it counts but it hasnt translated yet, which im fully confident it will. Im projecting more hr, than the usual projections, which is actually how pujols turned out. So id say those two are my selections.
oakiedragon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:24 am

I agree that Delmon might not hit for that high of an avg. But you predicting average power for him is almost laughable, when you have a guy like Barton hitting for a lot of power. If he has tremendous in game power, why doesn't he hit for power then?
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

re:

Postby oakiedragon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:02 pm

hybrid wrote:I agree that Delmon might not hit for that high of an avg. But you predicting average power for him is almost laughable, when you have a guy like Barton hitting for a lot of power. If he has tremendous in game power, why doesn't he hit for power then?

I wasnt stating this as fact, just an opinion i have of my own. The reason i say this is he hasnt shown Tremendous power in the minors and im just stating that i dont think hes going to be a 40 hr. guy, but i predict him to still be mvp caliber because of his all around play. As far as barton goes, he does have the in game power, however his swing is taliored for gaps and doubles rather than hr. Which is what the A's are trying to tweak with right now. Barton is also still very young, so his body is still maturing into his full power potential. So i look at it as he is already a polished hitter, he just needs to work on putting extra loft on the ball which for him wont be difficult to do. So thats why i project much better power numbers from him than expected. Hope this explains things a bit better.
oakiedragon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:26 pm

Actually I still don't understand why you think that. Delmon hasn't shown tremendous power? He hit 20 HR's in just over 300 AB's as a 19 year old at AA in a pitchers league, while slugging .582. Yet another hitter in Butler who you project to hit possibly 40 HR's didn't show the same power, while being in a hitters league.

On Barton, one of the main reasons why people/scouts think he won't add power is because of his body. He has a short stocky build to him and in most all ways his body is more mature then something like Delmon. Also Barton showed even less power last year then in 2004, all while being in great hitters leagues. Your right his swing is tailored more to contact and using the whole field, so why would he change that exactly just to hit some more HR's. I think he can improve to be a 20-25 HR hitter, but saying he will have a Bonds like OPS is pushing it a bit though.

BTW Barton will be a very good hitter for avg., but I doubt anyone really projects to hit .330. He hasn't even done that in the minors yet.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Jenkins » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:43 pm

Oakie, obviously you didnt see what Pujols did in the minors.

Not even close to what Delmon has consistantly done.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 pm

A guy like Pujols is very, very rare. Miggy Cabrera is the only guy with a good chance. As far as prospects, Delmon Young is the only guy i see with a chance.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby brandnew » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:30 pm

I don't think Delmon will walk enough to be near Pujols.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby laxguy8947 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:37 pm

Was Mr. Pujols a big time prospect who was hyped like mad when he was in the minors? I was under the impression that he wasn't. With that said, the question should be, who will be the next minor leaguer to rise quickly from obscurity to an MLB All-Star. I just don't think its fair to expect anyone to do what Albert has--no one is gonna come out nowhere and start winning MVPs the way he has
Thanks to abrage22
laxguy8947
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker

Postby hybrid » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:56 pm

laxguy8947 wrote:Was Mr. Pujols a big time prospect who was hyped like mad when he was in the minors? I was under the impression that he wasn't. With that said, the question should be, who will be the next minor leaguer to rise quickly from obscurity to an MLB All-Star. I just don't think its fair to expect anyone to do what Albert has--no one is gonna come out nowhere and start winning MVPs the way he has

Your correct on Pujols, he was a good prospect but no one nearly thought this good. The original poster though said he was pretty much asking who the future #1 fantasy pick would be. Pujols is a once in a generation type guy, no need to try and find an exact match ... cause there isn't anyone like him and won't be for a long time.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rob0417 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:20 pm

Alex Gordon. I know he hasn't even played minor league ball yet. But he looked real good in the Arizona Fall League. I expect him to fly though the KC system, possible even getting some big league time this year. Idon't think he will put up Pujolis numbers right away, but I expect him to be a perenail first round pick in a couple of years.
rob0417
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball