Sporting news online projections - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sporting news online projections

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sporting news online projections

Postby Wyatt » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:38 pm

http://fantasy.sportingnews.com/basebal ... index.html

Has anybody checked out their online projections? Just wondering what others thought about them. I saw in another thread where some people liked thier magazine.
Wyatt
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:42 pm

I hadnt seen them yet but thanks for the link I will check it out. ;-D

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:55 am

These rankings and values are based on 2005 stats, not 2006 projected stats.

As for the magazine, save your $. They project Soriano to hit .282 with 90+ rbis and runs in RFK.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Phatferd » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:08 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:These rankings and values are based on 2005 stats, not 2006 projected stats.

As for the magazine, save your $. They project Soriano to hit .282 with 90+ rbis and runs in RFK.

There isn't much of a history at the stadium to say its such a difficult pitchers park. It very well could be a horrible hitters park, but there isn't much of a history to effect your projections.

This is my opinion at least. I would personally shy away based on last season and the lack of history, however, I don't think its fair to right it off after 81 games.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Wyatt » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:32 am

I just compared the Sporting news projections to a link that someone posted in another thread for ESPN's projections

Guess What They're identical I wonder who copied from who

Lame I say
Wyatt
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:34 am

Phatferd wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:These rankings and values are based on 2005 stats, not 2006 projected stats.

There isn't much of a history at the stadium to say its such a difficult pitchers park. It very well could be a horrible hitters park, but there isn't much of a history to effect your projections.

This is my opinion at least. I would personally shy away based on last season and the lack of history, however, I don't think its fair to right it off after 81 games.

RFK had ten years as with a park index 94-100 in the 1960s, too. So, we don't just have 81 games, we have almost 900 games indicating that it's a moderate to strong pitchin gpark.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby dannahann » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:43 am

Wyatt wrote:I just compared the Sporting news projections to a link that someone posted in another thread for ESPN's projections

Guess What They're identical I wonder who copied from who

Lame I say

The reason they are identical is because the numbers listed on sporting news and espn are simply the final 2005 MLB player stats. Neither have posted free 2006 projections yet. I'm not sure if either site will?
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 223)

Postby RAmst23 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:07 am

The magazine isn't terrible, though you do have to adjust some of their rankings.

A 90 RBI season for Soriano isn't that far off the mark IMO. Now, the .282 avg and the 34 HRs they think he's going to hit is a little wrong. My projections for Soriano have him producing a 25/25 season with a .260 AVG, 90 runs and 90 RBIs.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:44 am

RAmst23 wrote:

The magazine isn't terrible, though you do have to adjust some of their rankings.

A 90 RBI season for Soriano isn't that far off the mark IMO. Now, the .282 avg and the 34 HRs they think he's going to hit is a little wrong. My projections for Soriano have him producing a 25/25 season with a .260 AVG, 90 runs and 90 RBIs.

I think you need to check that run and rbi projection against a good team run projection for the Nats. Last year they scored fewer just 639 runs, and it's impossible for any player on a team scoring that many runs to get 90 runs or rbis. This year, they may score slightly more, but it's doubtful they'll get over 700 runs. That makes it very, very difficult for a player with an OBP like Soriano to get 90 runs or rbis.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Wyatt » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:04 am

ok I hadn't looked at last years final stats yet. Thanks for the heads up.
Wyatt
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers