ANOTHER Manny trade... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ANOTHER Manny trade...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:31 am

George_Foreman wrote:Heh. "Settle"

Another thing is, Boston doesn't really have any use for figgins at this point. They're locked up at 3B and have already gone out and got a CF and a SS, so what exactly would they do with Figgy? Put either their "got rid of Marte to get him" CF or their newly-signed FA on the bench? Doesn't seem like a very clever move on Boston's part....

for starters i agree this trade will never happen with the way it is currently setup, but figgins could easily play lf or move coco back to lf and play cf for the red sox. he can play anywhere and they wouldnt just move him to the bench. if anything lowell would be slid to the bench and figgins play his 3b.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:29 am

Phatferd wrote:The Sox have sent an offer of Manny for Figgins, Santana, Wood and Kendrick (this is laughable).

The a team trying to trade thier biggest offensive weapon, on a contending team, a couple of weeks before spring training, with no replacement aviable, is laughable. The Red Sox aren't trading Manny.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Seanyfever » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:48 am

Included in those rumours was that LAA had to pick up most of Manny's remaining contract. BoSox are requesting a primo deal. Great comment on the Epstein strategy. Nice insight. Totally agree.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Postby Phatferd » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:38 pm

thedude wrote:
Phatferd wrote:The Sox have sent an offer of Manny for Figgins, Santana, Wood and Kendrick (this is laughable).

The a team trying to trade thier biggest offensive weapon, on a contending team, a couple of weeks before spring training, with no replacement aviable, is laughable. The Red Sox aren't trading Manny.

This isn't fantasy baseball. Those 4 Angels are more valuable than Manny alone. If the Angels were to make this deal they would be killing themselves for 5-10 years.

Manny is a very productive hitter, however, Figgins importance to this team is very high. If they lose Figgins they lose a lot right there. They provide two totally different aspects to a team. It's not like the Angels don't have a very very productive hitter in the middle of their lineup. His name is Vlad, so they aren't in super need of a monster in the middle of the lineup.

Kennedy's contract is up next year and Kendrick is most likely taking over for him.

Erstad is out after this year and Figgins is most likely to take over in CF for him.

Santana is their future ace. Right now the Angels have 4 starters and the 5th starter is going to be one of Carrasco, Jared Weaver, Joe Saunders and Bootcheck. If they trade Santana this really makes the Angels rely on some crappy pitching.

Wood is one of the top 5 prospects in all of the game and he is a SS. The Angels are not trading him.

Stoneman does not trade his prospects, its pretty simple. Name me one top prospect that Stoneman has traded. He just doesn't do it.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BritSox » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:26 pm

OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:

Uhh, what does that deal do to the Angels rotation?

Unless Jeff Weaver is going to sign with the Angels, the deal makes no sense. I think it's a very fair deal... but what does that do with our shortstop situation? Do we go Figgy at SS, DMac at 3rd, Manny/GA at LF/DH??? I just don't know about this one... But would love to see Manny in an Angel uniform.

How is Rivera, Escobar, OCab close to a fair deal? You get one of the best hitters in the game, for a guy you've been trying to dump all offseason who's a poor hitter with a terrible contract (and at a position where we've just signed a similar guy for much less) so with negative trade value, a decent starter who's a big injury question mark (and we've got too many starters already) and an average MLer.

If Wood/Santana/Figgins/Kendrick is Epstein's way of saying no, that's Stoneman's.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:53 pm

You hear so much about this deal that it seems like somehow its going to get done. The question is, who caves in to whose demands?

It seems logical that Rivera is in the deal. I would say certainly that a pitcher is in the deal. I would say Escobar is most likely, but the Red Sox have long coveted Scot Shields.

I am guessing the hang up is with the third player in the deal. I am guessing the Red Sox want Kotchman or a top prospect (Wood, Kendrick, or Morales). I'm guessing the Angels would like to ship out Darin Erstad and a lesser prospect (Aybar??) instead and agree to pick up Manny's entire contract.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Seanyfever » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:11 pm

How does this work for Ortiz?

I am presently in pretty good discussion to acquire him. You see this as significantly affecting his numbers?

The trade works well for me.

Colon, A Ram, Benitez, Stewart,Shelton 3rd & 6th pick

for

Beurhle, Ortiz, Womack, Mesa, Ibanez, His 3rd & 10th
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Postby Morrison8312 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:17 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Heh. "Settle"

Another thing is, Boston doesn't really have any use for figgins at this point. They're locked up at 3B and have already gone out and got a CF and a SS, so what exactly would they do with Figgy? Put either their "got rid of Marte to get him" CF or their newly-signed FA on the bench? Doesn't seem like a very clever move on Boston's part....

If they made that trade "Figgy" would play LF. Pretty simple :-D
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby El Gaupo » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:45 pm

I thought Boston offered Manny for Figgins, Santanna, and 2 top prospects. Wood and Kenrick were thrown out there for example only, but were not specifically asked for. From Boston's end, it's only a staring point in trade talks and naturally LAA counters with Rivera, Escobar and O Cab. and the deal gets leaked to the press. :-)

I can not see either team doing either deal. If Boson got any two of Figgins, Santanna, Wood and Kenrick then maybe a deal would work.
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers