ANOTHER Manny trade... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ANOTHER Manny trade...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Seanyfever » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:28 pm

Phatferd wrote:I also don't see the Angels trading Figgins. He is the catalyst of that team. I wouldn't call him untouchable, but the Angel consider him to be the MVP (he and Vladdy tied for team MVP).

I agree. Figgins isn't goign to be tossed around like this. He has significant value in LAA. He could be traded, but Angels are not sellign the farm on Manny.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:33 pm

THese are like garbage fantasy trades...2 for or 3 for ones going 'I'm giving you 3 ok guys for a good guy, so it's even!! C'mon man, let's do it!! I'll throw in Craig Wilson so you can dominate the "hat falls off" cat now that Damon cut his hair...'

Puhleeze... :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby foulballstrike3 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:11 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:THese are like garbage fantasy trades...2 for or 3 for ones going 'I'm giving you 3 ok guys for a good guy, so it's even!! C'mon man, let's do it!! I'll throw in Craig Wilson so you can dominate the "hat falls off" cat now that Damon cut his hair...'

Puhleeze... :-?

This is vice versa though. 3 average guys for a fantasy stud is bad, the guys that Boston would be getting would be their foundation for the future.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trot Nixon » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:48 am

MMoNeY24 wrote:What do you mean "for some reason" they shot it down.

Angels are giving up alot there, even if it is for Manny.
I was being sarcastic....

But think about it, Crisp=Marte, what does Manny=???

And yes it was leaked out through LA not Boston. But if I were the Angels no way would I do this deal...I would settle for Santana and Wood
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:54 am

Heh. "Settle"

Another thing is, Boston doesn't really have any use for figgins at this point. They're locked up at 3B and have already gone out and got a CF and a SS, so what exactly would they do with Figgy? Put either their "got rid of Marte to get him" CF or their newly-signed FA on the bench? Doesn't seem like a very clever move on Boston's part....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Phatferd » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:56 am

Here is what I dug up on this issue. Bill Shaikin (writer for LA Times) was on one of the biggest LA Radio shows today talking about this deal. He said the Angels are the only team with a real interest in Manny.

The Sox have sent an offer of Manny for Figgins, Santana, Wood and Kendrick (this is laughable). Stoneman told them no and said he really wouldn't even be interested in trading one of these guys for Manny. He most likely will take Manny off the Red Sox' hands and give them another prosepect not mentioned or position player on the ML roster who isn't considered a cornertstone on this current team.

edit: I am in Phoenix so I don't get SoCal radio, but I read somewhere that ESPN Radio 710 (Angels flagship) reported tonight that a deal will be announced later tonight saying a deal was made for Manny. I am passing this along as 2nd hand info, so this could be some internet troll posting crap. It very well could be.

The reported deal is Rivera, Escobar and Ocab for Manny.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:10 am

Phatferd wrote:Here is what I dug up on this issue. Bill Shaikin (writer for LA Times) was on one of the biggest LA Radio shows today talking about this deal. He said the Angels are the only team with a real interest in Manny.

The Sox have sent an offer of Manny for Figgins, Santana, Wood and Kendrick (this is laughable). Stoneman told them no and said he really wouldn't even be interested in trading one of these guys for Manny. He most likely will take Manny off the Red Sox' hands and give them another prosepect not mentioned or position player on the ML roster who isn't considered a cornertstone on this current team.

edit: I am in Phoenix so I don't get SoCal radio, but I read somewhere that ESPN Radio 710 (Angels flagship) reported tonight that a deal will be announced later tonight saying a deal was made for Manny. I am passing this along as 2nd hand info, so this could be some internet troll posting crap. It very well could be.

The reported deal is Rivera, Escobar and Ocab for Manny.
'

Uhh, what does that deal do to the Angels rotation?

Unless Jeff Weaver is going to sign with the Angels, the deal makes no sense. I think it's a very fair deal... but what does that do with our shortstop situation? Do we go Figgy at SS, DMac at 3rd, Manny/GA at LF/DH??? I just don't know about this one... But would love to see Manny in an Angel uniform.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby Phatferd » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:13 am

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think they will do exactly what you said. Figgins to SS, DMac to 3B...

I think it might open the door for a Weaver signing, but I don't see the Agnels taking on Manny's contract and adding a contract in the asking price of Weaver. Maybe they trade Aybar or Callaspo for a 4th or 5th starter.

I still think this is all a pipe dream and its just a story for the papers to run while there isn't much to talk about.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedude » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:31 am

Many trade proposals are bantied about and some rejected proposals make it into news papers. Prehaphs during a phone calll Stoneman asked what it would take to get Manny and this was Theo's reply.

This is how you say "No."
Why would the Red Sox trade Manny in early February? Even if they get the package they asked for the team would suffer this season. There is no way the Red Sox could possibly replace his offense.

So Theo Epstien knows he can't trade Manny.

So how does he does he say no without actually saying "no?" He asks for a trade that he knows the other GM will not agree not.

So the Angles can at least say to thier fans that they tried to improve thier offense and the Red Sox can tell Manny that they are honoring his trade request.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Thursday » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:08 am

thedude wrote:Many trade proposals are bantied about and some rejected proposals make it into news papers. Prehaphs during a phone calll Stoneman asked what it would take to get Manny and this was Theo's reply.

This is how you say "No."
Why would the Red Sox trade Manny in early February? Even if they get the package they asked for the team would suffer this season. There is no way the Red Sox could possibly replace his offense.

So Theo Epstien knows he can't trade Manny.

So how does he does he say no without actually saying "no?" He asks for a trade that he knows the other GM will not agree not.

So the Angles can at least say to thier fans that they tried to improve thier offense and the Red Sox can tell Manny that they are honoring his trade request.

Yeah, good point here. This way, all parties win without anything really happening.

The Angels would be crazy to gut their team like that for one dude.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers