Ryan Dempster - Stud Closer?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Dempster - Stud Closer??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ryan Dempster - Stud Closer??

Postby bmd » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:11 pm

Am I in the minority when I say Dempster could be one of the next stud closers? He didn't start 2005 in that role but after he got the job, they guy was 33 out of 35 in save opportunities. From September 2 through September 30, Dempster saved 13 of 13. The Cubs rewarded him with I believe a three year contract and it's his job to keep. He pitches for a good team so he'll have plenty of opportunities. Most of the rankings that I've read have him pretty low, but I think he's going to have a real good year. Any opinions?
bmd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dark Knight » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:21 pm

If he stays healthy all season, he will have 40 or more saves.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bronxxbomber » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:34 pm

I think he'll be fine, but he won't be a stud. He walks to many batters, He'll get the k's and saves, but he'll have a mediocre whip and his era could suffer from it.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:36 pm

I might have to stop calling him dumpster
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby tal1286 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:55 pm

If you look at my avatar, you can guess what I think. But I think there are statistics to back me up also.

I think he'll probably get a lot of saves. Remember, he didn't even take over the job until mid may so I would guess that he would have had around 40 saves last season and the cubs should be better this season (although some would disagree) so I think he gets around 40. Looking at this era though...as a closer he had 12 ER in 51 innings which comes out to around 2.1. His whip is harder to figure and I'm lazy but it varied a lot last season
may - 1.38
june - 0.84
july - 1.63
august - 1.74
september - 0.96
overall (whole season, including starts) - 1.43
Furthermore, if you look at it, his BABIP was .317, which means he was not really unlucky, but still unlucky to a degree which should help the WHIP and ERA a bit.

I would expect the era to regress a little to around 2.6ish cause not many closers can keep the era at 2 and his whip should definitely be less than his total for the season but I don't expect it to be spectacular. I'd say around 1.1-1.3, improving throughout the season.

Now, I wouldn't be ready to say he's the next rivera even though these numbers seem that way. Those are optimistic guesses from a cubs fan that may or may not be reasonable.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Another Blown Save » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:00 pm

I just can't trust a Cubs' closer.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bmd » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:02 pm

As far as concerns regarding Dempster and walking batters, I believe he walked only 27 batters after he got the job sometime around May 11th through the end of the season. Most of his walks came prior to that - April 6 through May 9th. He walked 22 during that span. I think that he settled into the role nicely last season and he could put up some real good numbers this season.
bmd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers