Auto draft question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auto draft question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auto draft question

Postby Bricklayer » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:05 pm

In an auto draft, I pre-ranked in part by excluding all of the middle relevers. This is a sound practice, right? No holds in the league that I'm in so did I do ok or am I missing something? Any other pre-rank advice for a auto draft?
Bricklayer
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auto draft question

Postby Coppermine » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:09 pm

Bricklayer wrote:In an auto draft, I pre-ranked in part by excluding all of the middle relevers. This is a sound practice, right? No holds in the league that I'm in so did I do ok or am I missing something? Any other pre-rank advice for a auto draft?

I think it would be appropriate to exclude middle relievers if your league is shallow enough that you'll be able to pick up a few good closers. If there are 12 teams or more, it may be a little tough and it may always be a good idea to grab a high rated setup guy in case a team's closer goes down for an extended period.

Middle relievers are sometimes quite good at boosting your ERA, WHIP and, maybe even K's. Then again, you have to consider if your league has a maximum innings pitched (dependent usually on whether the league is H2H or roto).

There are a few things to consider... I usually play in a for-fun league with my friends on Yahoo of about 10 teams, head to head, and I generally exclude middle relievers from my draft choices.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:11 pm

yes! you're missing the best part of fantasy baseball! THE DRAFT! i definitely suggest doing a live draft or at least some sort of offline draft.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:14 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:yes! you're missing the best part of fantasy baseball! THE DRAFT! i definitely suggest doing a live draft or at least some sort of offline draft.

I TOTALLY second that.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:29 pm

That's a valid tactic, the other thing I've noticed is that if you have guys you want, you can bump them up, even sometimes just a couple of notches and you will be much more likely to be able to pick particular guys and end up with them.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Bricklayer » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:30 pm

Thanks guys! Oh, and it's not under my control, or it would be a live draft! ;-D ;-D ;-D
Bricklayer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby swyck » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:26 am

If the number of teams are 12 or more, middle relievers do have value IMO. That's a bit controversial around here, and there have been posts going back and forth about the MR strategies.

I'd rather have a good MR that helps me keep my whip and ERA down, and gets me some Ks, instead of a 4+ ERA bum that will kill your rating cats. Especially if there are innings limits or deeper rosters.

I wouldnt put them too high in an auto rank, but I just dont want the lower tier SPs period. Scott Elarton or Cassey Fossum anyone? Please, just say no to trashy SPs. Give me Shields or Linebrink any day.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Return to Baseball Leftovers