Keeper Player taxes/fees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper Player taxes/fees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tal1286 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:07 pm

I see what you mean...Maybe what you could do is take what was paid for them and add 5% of what they earned last season to it.

This site will tell you what was earned based on your league settings:

http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/index.php?sport=bsball&type=rater

So, for example, I got Derrek Lee in my auction league for $25. According to the USA Today site, he earned $48, which actually I'm skeptical of, but for the sake of argument, let's say he did. You could add $2.4 to his original price and his new salary would be $27.4 or 28, whatever you want. If you want to make it 10%, you'd add 5. Or, you could take the difference between the values, in this case $23, and add a quarter, or a third of it. That way, when you have a great player for $1, he doesn't cost $1 and then $6, it would make him closer to his actual value like 1 and then (if he earned 25) $7 or $9. Really it's up to you, those are a few options that you can tweak however you want.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:07 pm

klvrdude wrote:I'll try to explain why I'm not in favor of a flat fee for all players.

To pick a flat amount seems arbitrary to me. A $5 dollars increase has significantly different meanings to different situations. Say for example that there are three players drafted at $50, $25 and $10.

In the 3rd year of the league a Pujols type player is now $60???

Yes, and that's why it would be a bad decision to keep him. The point of the $5 increase is to reward people for making good drafting decisions in previous years. While drafting Pujols for $45 certainly isn't a "bad" decision, it's kind of a no-brainer. But drafting David Wright for $10 is a good decision, and you are rewarded for it over the next few years by getting him at $15, $20, $25 when he's probably worth more. However, you can't just live on your past draftign acumen because eventually this catches up to you.

Basically, this system rewards you for making good keeper decisions, but the rewards deteriorate over time.
And well this may work for your middle tier guys it certainly doesn't seem right for WW players that come up in the middle of season like King Felix and Wright type players. So I can have King Felix or Wright in the 3rd season for approx $20 b/c my WW position was 1 better then someone else?

Simple solution: make all WW pickups be valued at $15 or something like that for the next year. Alternatively, just don't allow people to keep waiver wire pickups.

What I'd really like to replicate, if it is at all possible, is something similar to real ball. For instance, Manny's next contract is not going to be growing by ~10% each year. I'd something that limits the keeper taxes or fees on players that have already peaked, increase for those are peaking and have modest gains for those who are middle of the pack role player.

This seems kind of odd to me. Basically, keeper strategy becomes irrelevant here. First off, everyone's base "keeper value" is just going to be their actual value from the previous year. So the only people who will be worth keeping are the ones you expect to improve. But then you put an additional tax on those players that are expected to improve. So basically, you're eliminating any real keeper value there could be.

I guess I just don't see the purpose in having a keeper league if you're not going to reward people for good decisions they made in previous drafts. I mean, that's about 90% of keeper leagues; keeping players who will out-perform their cost for the next year. By making sure that the value for these players is eliminated by over-taxing them, you're kind of defeating the purpose of a keeper league, IMO.

EDIT: Tal's ideas are pretty interesting ones if that's what you're going for. They maintain a level of reward while accelerating its decay, which might be what you're going for.
Last edited by George_Foreman on Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tal1286 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:08 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
klvrdude wrote:I'll try to explain why I'm not in favor of a flat fee for all players.

To pick a flat amount seems arbitrary to me. A $5 dollars increase has significantly different meanings to different situations. Say for example that there are three players drafted at $50, $25 and $10.

In the 3rd year of the league a Pujols type player is now $60???

Yes, and that's why it would be a bad decision to keep him. The point of the $5 increase is to reward people for making good drafting decisions in previous years. While drafting Pujols for $45 certainly isn't a "bad" decision, it's kind of a no-brainer. But drafting David Wright for $10 is a good decision, and you are rewarded for it over the next few years by getting him at $15, $20, $25 when he's probably worth more. However, you can't just live on your past draftign acumen because eventually this catches up to you.

Basically, this system rewards you for making good keeper decisions, but the rewards deteriorate over time.
And well this may work for your middle tier guys it certainly doesn't seem right for WW players that come up in the middle of season like King Felix and Wright type players. So I can have King Felix or Wright in the 3rd season for approx $20 b/c my WW position was 1 better then someone else?

Simple solution: make all WW pickups be valued at $15 or something like that for the next year. Alternatively, just don't allow people to keep waiver wire pickups.

What I'd really like to replicate, if it is at all possible, is something similar to real ball. For instance, Manny's next contract is not going to be growing by ~10% each year. I'd something that limits the keeper taxes or fees on players that have already peaked, increase for those are peaking and have modest gains for those who are middle of the pack role player.

This seems kind of odd to me. Basically, keeper strategy becomes irrelevant here. First off, everyone's base "keeper value" is just going to be their actual value from the previous year. So the only people who will be worth keeping are the ones you expect to improve. But then you put an additional tax on those players that are expected to improve. So basically, you're eliminating any real keeper value there could be.

I guess I just don't see the purpose in having a keeper league if you're not going to reward people for good decisions they made in previous drafts. I mean, that's about 90% of keeper leagues; keeping players who will out-perform their cost for the next year. By making sure that the value for these players is eliminated by over-taxing them, you're kind of defeating the purpose of a keeper league, IMO.

This is what I was trying to say earlier, he just took the time to explain it in more detail.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby sLim » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:51 pm

from what i understand from ur thread...

the best way i see it possible for your league...would be to use real players salaries...and set a competitive salary cap that all the teams can agree with...or some kind of ratio where $1,000,000=$10...something like that...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers