Worried about Cantu? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worried about Cantu?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Worried about Cantu?

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:27 pm

Is anybody else worried that Cantu will take a big step backwards this year?

His terrible BB/K ratio of 19/83 gave him a really crappy OBP of .311.

I know that hitting in the three hole his job is to drive in Lugo and Crawford so should I be worried or is he the second coming of Soriano?

btw - with Jonny Gomes having just as bad a BB/K ratio what does this mean for Huff who is sandwiched between them?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jenkins » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:13 pm

Cantu was a big sleeper last year who lived up to the potential. I think he will put up comparable numbers this year, plus that lineup is better with Baldelli back and Delmon.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:20 pm

I heard a MLB.com radio interview with him a couple of weeks ago. He sounds like a good kid, and was extremely confident not only in himself, but the entire TB team this year. I realize that's just "taking his word for it" and chances are he's not going to come out and say "well yeah, I'm worried I might bust this year and finish in the Minors" but after listening to the interview you can't help but look at him a little more highly.

I casted him as a flop during one of his cold streaks last year, then he turned it on again. At that point I learned I will not doubt him until he gives me a legit reason to do so. Still, I would guess that someone will value him higher than I will, but if not I will be there to take him above the likes of Kent and Boone :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby sLim » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:28 pm

above kent?

hmmm...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:43 pm

I'm not sold on him having 30 HR power just yet, I think his average will stay up there ok but his HR's will slip under 25.

Gomes on the other hand will maintain his HR's but his average will slip, his contact rate is simply too low to project higher than a .260 or so average.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:03 pm

slomo007 wrote:I heard a MLB.com radio interview with him a couple of weeks ago. He sounds like a good kid, and was extremely confident not only in himself, but the entire TB team this year. I realize that's just "taking his word for it" and chances are he's not going to come out and say "well yeah, I'm worried I might bust this year and finish in the Minors" but after listening to the interview you can't help but look at him a little more highly.

I casted him as a flop during one of his cold streaks last year, then he turned it on again. At that point I learned I will not doubt him until he gives me a legit reason to do so. Still, I would guess that someone will value him higher than I will, but if not I will be there to take him above the likes of Kent and Boone :-b

boone??? are people really willing to gamble on bret boone again?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Worried about Cantu?

Postby JTWood » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:23 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Is anybody else worried that Cantu will take a big step backwards this year?

His terrible BB/K ratio of 19/83 gave him a really crappy OBP of .311.

I know that hitting in the three hole his job is to drive in Lugo and Crawford so should I be worried or is he the second coming of Soriano?

btw - with Jonny Gomes having just as bad a BB/K ratio what does this mean for Huff who is sandwiched between them?

I think he will take a giant step backwards to more realistic - and icky (that's a technical term) - numbers. But I'm not worried about him. I don't own him on any of my teams.

B-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:03 pm

I'm curious to know why he suddenly developed power in AAA in 2004 when he had shown no previous power throughout his minor league career. I'm certainly not suggesting steroids or such, just wondering if he changed his stance/swing/approach.

I'm not quite sold for 06 just yet. I'd like to see him cut down on his K's a little more before I jump on the bandwagon. The lack of history indicating power also makes me hesitant.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Philly Pride » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I heard a MLB.com radio interview with him a couple of weeks ago. He sounds like a good kid, and was extremely confident not only in himself, but the entire TB team this year. I realize that's just "taking his word for it" and chances are he's not going to come out and say "well yeah, I'm worried I might bust this year and finish in the Minors" but after listening to the interview you can't help but look at him a little more highly.

I'm not. Even when I dealt him for Oliver Perez, things still didn't change much. What a waste of a 6th round pick :-t

Stay away, I don't know anyone who would even sign Bret Boone.

boone??? are people really willing to gamble on bret boone again?
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Baseball Leftovers