RotoTimes Dollar Projections are out - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RotoTimes Dollar Projections are out

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RotoTimes Dollar Projections are out

Postby Jonathan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:24 pm

It says for 2005, but it has Damon on the Yanks and Bay as the 6th hitter.

http://www.rototimes.com/index.php?spor ... ojectionsd
Jonathan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:38 pm

Pretty interesting.

2 $40 players and 7 $30 players, none of them pitchers. That's not how it worked out in my draft, lol, or in the cafe mocks. No one worth $50 either.

I like seeing a higher value for players I got for less, but its not so nice seeing a lower value on others where I paid more. Seems to be a reasonably good guide.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby sLim » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:45 pm

awesome...thanx for the link
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:15 pm

This RotoTimes projected dollar values aren't particularly helpful... half the players I have pre-ranked are coming in at less than $1, which is kind of defeating the purpose for me.

Anyone know of any better auction value projection sites? How about Diamond Draft, anyone use it and recommend it?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thinkspin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:45 pm

Coppermine wrote:Anyone know of any better auction value projection sites? How about Diamond Draft, anyone use it and recommend it?

Check RotoSpin

Anyway, the reason some of the players are coming in at less that one dollar is related to VALUATION. It is showing you how much a player will earn (what they are WORTH) given a particular set of projections.

The RotoTimes calculator has many holes in how it calculates value. I did not look at the projections though.
Founder of a fantasy sports related website...
thinkspin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:49 pm

thinkspin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Anyone know of any better auction value projection sites? How about Diamond Draft, anyone use it and recommend it?

Check RotoSpin

Anyway, the reason some of the players are coming in at less that one dollar is related to VALUATION. It is showing you how much a player will earn (what they are WORTH) given a particular set of projections.

The RotoTimes calculator has many holes in how it calculates value. I did not look at the projections though.

And I'm sure RotoTimes say's that your site has HOLES in its calculation system. :-? Can't say an advertisment is gonna swing me one way or the other.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby sLim » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:14 pm

hmmm...after checkin both sites...i like the roto times one better...

since im an auction rookie...i just want something that i can base my first bids on and will obviously have to adjust to the direction of the other teams in the auction...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thinkspin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:34 pm

BigLebowski wrote:And I'm sure RotoTimes say's that your site has HOLES in its calculation system. :-? Can't say an advertisment is gonna swing me one way or the other.

Since I wrote my own VALUATION engine, I know the steps that are involved. And I am NOT saying what I have done is perfect, but one big step is missing in the rototimes calculator.

For efficiency sake, it looks like the are doing 1 pass through the projection set to find the AVERAGE for each category. This skews the Dollar amount in the result since you are looking at a value that is derived based on the entire population and not just the players who should be drafted.

Plus, you can check out both for free and do your own analysis.
thinkspin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Surfs up » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:47 pm

I just looked at Rototimes dollar projections and I'll tell you there ain't no way ARod goes for $40.75 in my league this year. You can add at least $10.00 to his price.Hell they had Podsednik at $26.00 or $28.00 He went for $38.00 last year. Vlad went for $50.00. I stopped looking about 10 players done. Not worth the time.Its almost laughable.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)

Postby thinkspin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:04 pm

Surfs up wrote:I just looked at Rototimes dollar projections and I'll tell you there ain't no way ARod goes for $40.75 in my league this year. You can add at least $10.00 to his price.Hell they had Podsednik at $26.00 or $28.00 He went for $38.00 last year. Vlad went for $50.00. I stopped looking about 10 players done. Not worth the time.Its almost laughable.

The higher priced players go for more money than they are worth and the lower priced players go for less than they are worth. That is just the nature of auctions.
thinkspin
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers