Auction Draft Strategy??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction Draft Strategy???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction Draft Strategy???

Postby ferris182 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:40 am

Hey Guys,

This year I am participating in my first auction draft and I need some help.

Can you guys give me some pointers?

Should I draft pitching late?

Should I start bidding on players that I don't want?

I have a $260 payroll. How much towards hitting and how much towards pitching?

Any other advice would be appreciated.
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:43 am

DON'T bid on players you don't want. :-)

Get projections that include dollar values. Bid up to 3/4-4/5 of a player's projected value. The guys you end up winning will be a steal, and even if they don't perform up to expectations, you could still get your money's worth. ;-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ferris182 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:14 pm

George_Foreman wrote:DON'T bid on players you don't want. :-)

Get projections that include dollar values. Bid up to 3/4-4/5 of a player's projected value. The guys you end up winning will be a steal, and even if they don't perform up to expectations, you could still get your money's worth. ;-D

Can you clarify your statement: "Bid up to 3/4-4/5 of a player's projected value. " What does this mean?
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:42 pm

Generally spend at least 65% of you budget on hitting.

Call out players for $1 you do not want and think will go high early to draw down other team's payrolls.

You can bid on players you really have no interest in to try to get the price up for someone else...just be careful as your perceived value of someone may not correlate to everyone else's.

Don't overpay. If you really want ARod for instance and his price hits what you have him projected for, back off. Obviously, if you are later in the auction and need to fill a slot and the last good player at the position is up for bidding, you can make an exception and spend a few extra bucks.

Generally players called out early go at or above vauation...meaning if you can avoid getting into the frey early you should be able to swoop in and get some good bargains. The flip-side is that if you wait too long you will get a lot of good value mediocrity and not have the talent to compete. Ofen you get what you pay for. I usually target a few guys I really want, try to hold off bringing them to bid as long as possible and try to get them at or below valuation.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby redsox588 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:55 pm

I may be a first time auctioneer and i'd like to learn the ins and outs as well. I have a few questions.

- Should you be agressive in the beginning, go after the stars, or hang back and let people overspend?

- How high should you value pitching as opposed to hitting?

- Once the draft ends do you continue to have a budget or does that get wiped away?
RED SOX '04 CHAMPS
redsox588
College Coach
College Coach

Postby redsox588 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:48 pm

bump
RED SOX '04 CHAMPS
redsox588
College Coach
College Coach

Postby crapshooter » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:25 am

the key is hanging back...but not too long...wait and just take bargins as they come up...but the worst thing you can do is hang back until all the good players are gone and you end up overspending for bad players...the middle and end of the draft are what makes your team. If you can get a super star for what you think he's worth early then do it...if not let someone else overspend
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby redsox588 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:51 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm also curious, i'm in a 12 team 5x5 H2H and we're curious what is the standard amount of money to start with for an auction?
RED SOX '04 CHAMPS
redsox588
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fatnub2339 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:44 am

260 is the standard for most leagues
fatnub2339
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Surfs up » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:01 am

If its a keeper league cross out the names that are already on rosters.That will leave you with just the players left to bid on. Cross them out as they are rostered.Keep a list of the other owners teams to see what spots they need to fill . Also keep track of how much money you have and the other owners as well. Always always always get the best player possible.If its a mixed league you have more players to choose from. AL only leagues pickings can be slim. I wouldn't use any of the sites as cemented in stone for projections. Each league is very different. You might get Arod for 38-40 in some leagues but I can just about guarantee he will go for 50-52 this year inmy AL only. As stated before don't call out a player you may get stuck with. Don't wait for deals. To many good players slip through by not going that extra. Dollar. Don't forget if you have a player projected at $20.00 and the next guy bids $21.00 by going $22.00 that cost him extra as well if he wants that player. If you don't get him at least you have taken some money away from that owner. You can't do that with every player of you run out of money.Do fall in love with players. By saying I have to get that guy no matter what.A guys in our league wanted Manny and RJ spend $95.00 on those two and had nothing else. He finished 11th out of 12.On the other hand another owner who had plenty of money going into the draft waited for bargins and spent $23 on Orlando Hudson mid way through the draft just because there weren't any better second baseman left.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 200)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers