Who's Going to Win Each Division? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's Going to Win Each Division?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raw05hbk » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:56 pm

AL

East-Bo Sox
Central-Twins
West-As
WC-Blue Jays

NL
East-Braves
Central-Cardinals
West-Who cares...but I'd say SD
WC-Cubs
raw05hbk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:11 pm

For Now:

AL
East: New York Yankees
Central: Chicago White Sox
West: Oakland Athletics
Wild Card: Los Angeles Angels

NL
East: Atlanta Braves
Central: St. Louis Cardinals
West: Los Angeles Dodgers
Wild Card: Chicago Cubs
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:35 pm

Ben Gordon wrote:
WS:
WHITE SOX OVER CUBS

WS MVP:
AJ PIERZYNSKI

HOMER!! LOL!! ;-D

AL East- Yankees
Al Central- Indians
AL West- As
WC- White Sox

NL East- Mets
NL Central-Brewers
NL West- Padres
WC- Cubs (*cough cough* :-D )
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby ThatDude » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:50 pm

converge241 wrote:NYY
Cleveland
LAA
WC- CWS

NYM
STL
LAD
WC- Chc (i really want to say brewers here but cant make myself)

edit: playoffs
Yankees over whitesox
Indians over Angels
Yankees over Indians

Cardinals over cubs
Mets over dodgers
Mets over cards

subway rematch yankees over mets (not happy with that thought but its what i think will happen)

My Cub-love notwithstanding, this can't happen.

The Wild Card team doesn't play a team from the same division in the first round.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brandnew » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:02 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
brandnew wrote:.500 for the Braves? I'm not even going to comment, that's awful...

I think the big issue for the Braves is the Mazzone effect and the back end of the rotation. ZiPS did include an upward adjustment in all Braves pitcher ERAs due to the loss of Leo. And, I have a hard time believing they'll get anything close to league average ERA out of the back two slots in the rotation. In fact, I would not be surprised at all if both of those slots ended the year with an ERA >5.00

They only won 90 games last year. If the loss of Leo and the performance of the backline starters and relievers costs them 60-90 runs, they are a .500 team.

Umm... Smoltz is Smoltz, he didn't need Leo. Hudson and Leo didn't get along at all, he was hurt, and he was bad when he pitched. Thomson was hurt and horrendous last season, I don't see how he can be much worse at all. Sosa is the casualty of Leo, he's going to be bad in the rotation, IMO. Davies was horrible last year as well, I don't see how losing Leo would make him WORSE... just the fact that it's his second year in the league should make him better. What part are you saying is the bad backend of the rotation? I agree that HoRam is horrible, but Sosa IMO will be at least league average at the #5 spot. Davies is a very very promising young rookie that a lot of people like. He knows how to pitch, and did before he met Leo.

There's a lot of fuss coming out that a lot of the pitchers didn't like working with Leo, especially the new younger ones.

And, $10 says the bullpen is 10x better than last year... there's no way in hell it can be worse with guys like Bernero and Kolb gone... and Boyer and Devine rested and ready for a full year: Baker, McBride, LeRew, Boyer, Devine, Reitsma, etc. is not a bad bullpen at all, though it lacks a shutdown closer.

PLUS, there's no Mondesi, Jordan; replaced by KJ/Langy/Diaz, and a full year of Francoeur... not to mention player progression from Francoeur, McCann, LaRoche, Giles, the LF Platoon, and Chipper potentially healthy for a full year... I'm still struggling to see how this team will regress at all without ridiculous amount of injuries. The backend of the rotation which you think is a weakness is probably better than 70% of the rest of the league's 4/5. Cost them 60-90 runs? Are you serious? Do you remember Dan KolBB? They won 90 games last year because of ridiculous amount of bad luck injury wise... it's unlikely for that to repeat.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:22 am

brandnew wrote:
Umm... Smoltz is Smoltz, he didn't need Leo. Hudson and Leo didn't get along at all, he was hurt, and he was bad when he pitched. Thomson was hurt and horrendous last season, I don't see how he can be much worse at all. Sosa is the casualty of Leo, he's going to be bad in the rotation, IMO. Davies was horrible last year as well, I don't see how losing Leo would make him WORSE... just the fact that it's his second year in the league should make him better. What part are you saying is the bad backend of the rotation? I agree that HoRam is horrible, but Sosa IMO will be at least league average at the #5 spot. Davies is a very very promising young rookie that a lot of people like. He knows how to pitch, and did before he met Leo.

There's a lot of fuss coming out that a lot of the pitchers didn't like working with Leo, especially the new younger ones.

And, $10 says the bullpen is 10x better than last year... there's no way in hell it can be worse with guys like Bernero and Kolb gone... and Boyer and Devine rested and ready for a full year: Baker, McBride, LeRew, Boyer, Devine, Reitsma, etc. is not a bad bullpen at all, though it lacks a shutdown closer.

PLUS, there's no Mondesi, Jordan; replaced by KJ/Langy/Diaz, and a full year of Francoeur... not to mention player progression from Francoeur, McCann, LaRoche, Giles, the LF Platoon, and Chipper potentially healthy for a full year... I'm still struggling to see how this team will regress at all without ridiculous amount of injuries. The backend of the rotation which you think is a weakness is probably better than 70% of the rest of the league's 4/5. Cost them 60-90 runs? Are you serious? Do you remember Dan KolBB? They won 90 games last year because of ridiculous amount of bad luck injury wise... it's unlikely for that to repeat.

I don't think the offense will regress, although...
Francouer is not going to duplicate last year's performance
I'm not sure why we'd expect a 28 year old Giles to progress.
And, you may get more games, but you won't get as high a level of production from Chipper.
On balance, the offense will be about the same.

The bullpen ERA was only 4.74 last year, which is hardly awful. And, I'm not as confident that they'll improve. There's a TON of BIG ??? in that pen.

The starters had a 3.65 ERA
Add a minimum of 0.75 to Sosa'a ERA.
Neither Smoltz nor Hudson will be as low.
Davies and Ramirez add .5 to their ERAs.
Each spot in the rotation will add 10 to 20 runs.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby brandnew » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:46 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
brandnew wrote:

I don't think the offense will regress, although...
Francouer is not going to duplicate last year's performance
I'm not sure why we'd expect a 28 year old Giles to progress.
And, you may get more games, but you won't get as high a level of production from Chipper.
On balance, the offense will be about the same.

The bullpen ERA was only 4.74 last year, which is hardly awful. And, I'm not as confident that they'll improve. There's a TON of BIG ??? in that pen.

The starters had a 3.65 ERA
Add a minimum of 0.75 to Sosa'a ERA.
Neither Smoltz nor Hudson will be as low.
Davies and Ramirez add .5 to their ERAs.
Each spot in the rotation will add 10 to 20 runs.

Well we disagree heavily... I have no idea how you think Smoltz and Hudson will not be as low... especially Hudson who had probably his worst year of his career last year due to injuries and getting accustomed to a new team/pitching coach...

Sosa I can understand. ADD .5 to Davies' and HoRam's ERAs?? Why?! Davies is a great young pitcher, why would he regress .5 ERA from last year? That makes no sense unless you think Davies is Dan Kolb's long lost twin brother. HoRam couldn't get any worse than he was last year.

And Giles will go back to his '03 numbers because he finally was able to lift during this offseason and gain some bulk. He's lifting with his brother. Last year he was nursing his shoulder and he couldn't lift. His HR numbers should rise, and his stats should be close to '03 production. IMO Francoeur's numbers will be better than what he did combined with Raul Mondesi's 142 AB's of awful production. (.211/.271/.359) ... if you watched Jeff in the playoffs... I don't think pitchers are just going to "figure him out." IMO he'll hit .275 with 27 jacks this year.

4.74 ERA is awful. It should improve just by the loss of Dan Kolb by itself. Boyer and Devine have a ton of potential to succeed this year, as well as Reitsma, who was the unluckiest pitcher in all of baseball last year (if you watch the Braves you'd know what I'm talking about), and a whole bunch of other wildcards. I'm pretty confident it'll be better than last year.

If you're talking about having bad back ends of rotations, let's talk about some of the other teams in the NL East.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers