Any advice for a first time auctioner? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any advice for a first time auctioner?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any advice for a first time auctioner?

Postby sLim » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:09 pm

i consider myself experienced with fantasy baseball...only with redraft and keeper leagues...

im goin to join an existing auction keeper league...

any advice would be appreciated...

and does anyone have a link to a auction cheat sheet?
i kno auction drafts are unique to their own managers...so as many cheat sheets possible would be nice so i can compare and see what players are going for on average...

thanx
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Auction league

Postby bigjimblue » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:15 pm

The hardest thing to do in an auction league is to maintain self discipline. I don't care how well intentioned you are going in, it's difficult to maintain it when a hot player comes up. My advice is to do your research and assign a fair max value for a player and STICK to it. You will ALWAYS come out ahead in the end. Bid with your mind and not your heart. Now this comes from someone who is telling you to do as I say and not as I do!
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sLim » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:27 pm

LOL...ive actually been doin that...ive gone over a list of all the players from their league last year and ive estimated a max value i would pay for most of the top guys...its some of the middle tier guys that im not sure about...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:34 pm

There was another post about this yesterday. Maybe some of the stuff in that thread will help: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=166571
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby zergeR » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:41 pm

In my experience, if you wait for bargains, you are going to end up with money left on the table. My strategy in auction drafts is to overspend on a stud early (either arod or pujols) and then wait for value throughout the draft. I feel that is has worked well for me in the past, and you can see my results using this strategy in mock auction II.
zergeR
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sLim » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:41 pm

thx...looks like alot of good info on that other thread
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby crapshooter » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:10 pm

zergeR wrote:In my experience, if you wait for bargains, you are going to end up with money left on the table. My strategy in auction drafts is to overspend on a stud early (either arod or pujols) and then wait for value throughout the draft. I feel that is has worked well for me in the past, and you can see my results using this strategy in mock auction II.

I agee..jump out early and get a really good player...then sit back and wait for the bargins throughout the draft
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Surfs up » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:50 am

It depends on the size of the league and if its mixed. I play in an 12 team AL only with 11 keepers from the year before. That doesn't leave many STUDS going back to the draft. And if you want them you pay. Manny $52, RJ $43 Damon $33 Pods $ 38 . Yes maybe you will get lucky and get a guy that works out for you in the middle ot later rounds but as the demand is still there and the players aren't you end up paying $23 for a second baseman like Hudson or $29 for Mench. I agree with the above. I go after a solis stud early . I would rather pay a little over what I think he should go for and pretty much get what I expect and not have to pay alot over what a player should go for and hope he meets expectations.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 198)

Postby sLim » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:47 pm

the league im joinin is an existing keeper...16 teams...mixed...h2h...i believe everyone gets 7 keepers...and as an expansion team...i can bid on one of each teams keepers...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers