2006 Tiger Top 10 Prospect List Compilation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

2006 Tiger Top 10 Prospect List Compilation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:40 pm

I keep hearing them talk about Zumaya in the pen, but I don't get it. In his career to date Zumaya has shown an ability to learn how to get hitters out. To put him in relief where he can rely on the heater and not develop more as a pitcher makes no sense to me.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:11 pm

moochman wrote:I keep hearing them talk about Zumaya in the pen, but I don't get it. In his career to date Zumaya has shown an ability to learn how to get hitters out. To put him in relief where he can rely on the heater and not develop more as a pitcher makes no sense to me.
Much of the talk of putting Zumaya in the pen is from before last year. He had a max effort delivery and his secondary pitchers were well below average. That and he throws hard blah, blah, blah...

I'm with you. In 2005, Zumaya smoothed his delivery and improved his secondary pitches. His control still needs work, but he is still a young guy, only 21 years old. Most guys his age aren't up to the AAA level like he was last year. His potential as a starter is too high to be prematurely talking about moving him into the bullpen. I want to see him open the year in AAA and continue to work as a starter. But I would not be surprised if he is in the rotation before the all-star break any way that I look at it. People are still forgetting about Colon as well...

And about Logan: I'm not overly concerned if he struggles at the plate a little. He is a 5th outfielder/defensive replacement/pinch runner as far as I'm concerned. Of course, his defense has shown some holes this spring, hopefully it's just a little spring rust...
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Detroit Tigers