2006 Tiger Top 10 Prospect List Compilation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

2006 Tiger Top 10 Prospect List Compilation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2006 Tiger Top 10 Prospect List Compilation

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:38 pm

Take these for what their worth. When I run across new ones, I'll edit this post to include them. These are always interesting to look back on in a few years:

Baseball America (by John Manuel):
1) Verlander
2) Zumaya
3) Maybin
4) Clevlen
5) Wilkin Ramirez
6) Humberto Sanchez
7) Jordan Tata
8) Giarratano
9) Larish
10) Whelan

Sports Blurb (by John Franco):
1) Verlander
2) Zumaya
3) Maybin
4) Tata
5) Clevlen
6) Humberto Sanchez
7) Whelan
8) Ramirez
9) Giarratano
10) Jeff Frazier

Detroit News (Verlander left out due to MLB experience):
1) Zumaya
2) Maybin
3) Clevlen
4) Whelan
5) Clete Thomas
6) Tata
7) Wilken Ramirez
8) Eulogio DeLaCruz
9) Larish
10) Frazier

Inside the Dugout (by Jan Ramirez):
1) Verlander
2) Zumaya
3) Maybin
4) Tata
5) Clevlen
6) Sleeth
7) Humberto Sanchez
8) Giarratano
9) Frazier
10) Michael Hollimon

Rotoworld (by Matthew Pouliot)
1) Verlander
2) Zumaya
3) Maybin
4) Whelan
5) Clevlen
6) Kyle Sleeth
7) Humberto Sanchez
8) Giarattano
9) Larish
10) Wilkin Ramirez

On Deck (by Scott Rex)
1) Maybin
2) Verlander
3) Zumaya
4) Clevlen
5) Sleeth
6) Larish
7) De La Cruz
8) Tata
9) Josh Rainwater
10) Dallas Trahern
Last edited by mcqfesijiba on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:49 pm

So the high school kid they drafted last season is now a better prospect than anyone that DD has drafted other than V & Z? Not much to show for 4 years work.
I sure hope Mayben can excel and make to the show in a couple years. We've got to start producing some star players soon.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:35 pm

moochman wrote:So the high school kid they drafted last season is now a better prospect than anyone that DD has drafted other than V & Z? Not much to show for 4 years work.
I sure hope Mayben can excel and make to the show in a couple years. We've got to start producing some star players soon.
I think it's more of a credit to the upside Maybin possesses above all else and not against anyone else in the system. Arizona is said to have one of the best farm systems in all of baseball right now and many scouts and such would place Justin Upton in the top 3 of their system, if not #1. Trust me, Maybin would be a top 5 prospect in almost every other MLB systems. Scouts LOVE his talents even though he's never seen a single at bat in pro ball.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:04 pm

Here is another Tigers top prospect list.

minorleagueball.com (John Sickels)

DETROIT TIGERS TOP 20 PROSPECTS

1. Justin Verlander, RHP, Grade A

2. Joel Zumaya, RHP, Grade B+

3. Cameron Maybin, OF, B

4. Brent Clevlen, OF, B

5. Jordan Tata, RHP, B-

6. Tony Giarratano, SS, C+

7. Jeff Larish, 1B, C+

8. Jeff Frazier, OF, C+

9. Kevin Whelan, RHP, C+

10. Clete Thomas, OF, C+

11. Michael Hollimon, SS, C+

12. Matt Joyce, OF, C+

13. Jair Jurrjens, RHP, C+

14. Eulogio De La Cruz, RHP, C+

15. P.J. Finigan, RHP, C+

16. Chris Robinson, C, C+

17. Wilkin Ramirez, 3B, C

18. Humberto Sanchez, RHP, C

19. Kody Kirkland, 3B, C

20. Dallas Trahern, RHP, C

I love Verlander. Zumaya also has an excellent arm, and if he can maintain a modicum of command he could also be an excellent pitcher. Maybin is a tools hound that we have to see against pro pitching. Clevlen took a major step forward last year after a poor '04 campaign.
This is another club with a mass of C+/C type prospects, who could turn into something interesting but have question marks of some sort. Whelen is a relief sleeper who you should watch closely. Thomas has good tools but his power needs to develop. Hollimon has tools and drew a lot of walks last year after turning pro, but was older than most of his peers in the New York-Penn League.

Grade C guys Wilkin Ramirez and Humberto Sanchez have very high ceilings. . .both could end up being Grade B guys if things pan out, but both have enough questions that I can't rate them highly at this point. Ramirez is young and athletic but has very poor strike zone judgment. Sanchez has a Grade B+ arm, but command and health are serious concerns.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:15 pm

That list makes me nauseaous. Only five prospects that would rate over a C? :-P Given the Tigers' history of developing thier young talent..........
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:49 pm

C grades in this case aren't a bad thing. It's just his way of grading prospects. If anything he was being conservative and he admitted as much. It's pretty awesome that Sleeth didn't make the list. What I mean is that is a pretty good player to "miss the cut", TJ surgery or not.

And always remember, Brandon Inge is awesome! :-)
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:27 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:And always remember, Brandon Inge is awesome! :-)

you're killing me!
I actually am starting to hear rumblings about the mighty Inge's range and quick reflexes being above average. So much so that he is regarded as a top D 3rdbaseman. I cannot ignore the botching of routine plays, many of which are not errors. But maybe I have been a little harsh.

About the prospects. Who do you think will be coming north with the team? Verlander and ? or just V? Or nobody.
I have to admit having so many players not in ST makes it harder to evaluate what kinds of progress is made. The last two weeks should be very revealing, methinks.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:32 am

I don't know, but I usually don't let spring training performances really excite or disappoint me. However, I can't help but be very happy with Granderson. There isn't anything he isn't doing. and all with a 7/3 BB/K ratio. I've always said he was the type of player was very smart and worked hard, not relying purely on tools. He is going to be a good player in this league. Even better than many expect considering his work ethic and intelligence. I still worry about him if he opens the year leading off, so hopefully Leyland knows what he's doing.

My boy Inge is sitting at a pretty .355 AVG and .429 OBP and a 3/4 BB/K ratio. 1 error, but his range factor is way up there as usual. Go Inge! Show us the slump last year in the second half was more fatigue than anything else!

Verlander has been so-so at best so far, but the sample size for pitchers in spring training is just so low. I'm thinking he opens the year as our #5. Zumaya is looking like he's ticketed for AAA. In fact the pitching hasn't looked good at all, but again, I'm not a huge fan of judging pitchers by the numbers in spring and it's not like we can actually watch them much at the moment unless we're down there in Lakeland with them.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:12 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:My boy Inge is sitting at a pretty .355 AVG and .429 OBP and a 3/4 BB/K ratio. 1 error, but his range factor is way up there as usual. Go Inge! Show us the slump last year in the second half was more fatigue than anything else!

Your absolutely shameless! I'll wait until August when he is hitting .250, spraying weak grounders and pop-ups around while telling us that he isn't fatigued. I hope I'll be eating crow, we'll see.

I am impressed with the start that Granderson has gotten off to more than I am disgusted with the start of Logan. Barring a complete turnaround the CF fight is over. I thougt Verlander showed some very promising progress his last two outings. He should be the #5, we can take out lumps with this kid. I would like to see Zumaya either win the 5, pushing V to 4, or go to Toledo until someone stumbles then start the future of a real Tiger rotation.

It's very early and too may quality players aren't in the minors, but I am liking the progress of the team.

Very disappointed in DaFatMan Young. Gets in such good shape that he pulls a muscle in the first game he plays. I smell a fraud. I don't think he put in the time to get himself into shape and will spend a year making excuses for his poor play. Potential for Cancer. Pena has been his usual befuddling self. Clueless with a bat right now, will probably catch fire the last week of ST, hit for three weeks and slump enough to be in Toledo by June.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MotorCityKitties » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:15 pm

moochman wrote:
mcqfesijiba wrote:My boy Inge is sitting at a pretty .355 AVG and .429 OBP and a 3/4 BB/K ratio. 1 error, but his range factor is way up there as usual. Go Inge! Show us the slump last year in the second half was more fatigue than anything else!

Your absolutely shameless! I'll wait until August when he is hitting .250, spraying weak grounders and pop-ups around while telling us that he isn't fatigued. I hope I'll be eating crow, we'll see.

I am impressed with the start that Granderson has gotten off to more than I am disgusted with the start of Logan. Barring a complete turnaround the CF fight is over. I thougt Verlander showed some very promising progress his last two outings. He should be the #5, we can take out lumps with this kid. I would like to see Zumaya either win the 5, pushing V to 4, or go to Toledo until someone stumbles then start the future of a real Tiger rotation.

It's very early and too may quality players aren't in the minors, but I am liking the progress of the team.

Very disappointed in DaFatMan Young. Gets in such good shape that he pulls a muscle in the first game he plays. I smell a fraud. I don't think he put in the time to get himself into shape and will spend a year making excuses for his poor play. Potential for Cancer. Pena has been his usual befuddling self. Clueless with a bat right now, will probably catch fire the last week of ST, hit for three weeks and slump enough to be in Toledo by June.

Inge and DY are my two least favorite tigers. Hopefully this is the last year Young is on the team and the last year Inge is in the starting lineup.

I think Verlander will get the 5th spot. How much of a chance does Zumaya have of getting a bullpen position? I think it might be pretty decent with the poor performances/injuries we have seen from the bullpen guys this spring.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Detroit Tigers