Chris Duffy??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chris Duffy???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chris Duffy???

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:06 am

From what I've read he sounds like a speedy fielder with a lil pop. Kinda sounds like Tike Redman to me, which didn't work out so well for the Pirates. Anybody have anymore insight in his game and potential? Also, if he is a Redman clone, why on earth doesn't Pit go after somebody to start instead of him (not that there are many OF capable of playing CF left)?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rlee » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:44 am

First of all, I don't think he's a lock to start in CF. But if he does, I think he'll be more reliable than REdman was. I think he can hit
.290 and give you 25-30 SB.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:56 am

rlee wrote:First of all, I don't think he's a lock to start in CF. But if he does, I think he'll be more reliable than REdman was. I think he can hit
.290 and give you 25-30 SB.

Redman was garbage, plain and simple. He was the streakiest freaking .280 hitter I've ever seen, and he never stole bases (could have been a McClendon thing but still).

All indications are that Duffy will be the starter in CF. They really don't have anyone else to play there. Left field in PNC is so cavernous that trusting C. Wilson, Burnitz, or anyone less speedy than Bay to play there is asking for trouble. One possibility is for Nate McClouth to be there, but I don't think he'll do as well as Duffy in ST (although I have read some hardcore Pirates fans think McLouth is better than Duffy). I also doubt Gerut would regularly start in CF as well...given his injury history, it's hard for me to figure he'll be playing for more than half the season anyway.

Duffy has hit for a good average at all minor league stops (.300+ all years except for one), and he is a very quick guy. He probably has the ability to steal 25-30 bases a year if given the chance. If the Pirates are lucky he has a Brady Clark-esque year except with more steals and less HR's.

I really want this guy to do well. He seems like he would be a great defensive player who can give the team speed and base stealing ability at the top of the order. He's also got a hard-nosed style that Pirates fans always seem to enjoy. I wouldn't be relying on him for fantasy baseball unless you need steals though.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pedantic » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:00 am

Mercer Boy wrote:(although I have read some hardcore Pirates fans think McLouth is better than Duffy)

I think McLouth is better, and I'm not even a Pirates fan. But you didn't hear that from me. ;-)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:38 am

Pedantic wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:(although I have read some hardcore Pirates fans think McLouth is better than Duffy)

I think McLouth is better, and I'm not even a Pirates fan. But you didn't hear that from me. ;-)

I was also under the impression that McLouth was better, but maybe he just needs another year of seasoning?
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Return to Baseball Leftovers