I'm Staying Away From Cano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm Staying Away From Cano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:47 am

Good call on the sophmore jinx ...
I'd even go so far as to say that Yankee fans, take to boo-ing him by May 1st .. :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby phillibuster » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:20 am

We'll dig this thread up around then...you and me will either look like genious's or really stupid.

I wish I could explain my feeling further about Cano. Maybe it was becasue I felt they brought him up too early (only for trade bait), possibly he was getting lucky last season. But I don't think his upside is great, and there is a better probability that he flounders his second season.

I'm still going to have to go with my gut here....I should rephrase and say that i'm not going to avoid him completely, but where I see him going in Mocks, i'm not even going to consider him that early in a draft is what i'm trying to say. Yankee fans are loyal. If you have a couple in your league, Cano will be off your board before he even becomes a blip on your radar IMO.

wrveres wrote:Good call on the sophmore jinx ...
I'd even go so far as to say that Yankee fans, take to boo-ing him by May 1st .. :-)
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:32 am

I have him as my #11 2B, but I have 7-12 all grouped pretty closely. Honestly I'd much rather have Cano than waste a high draft pick on someone like Soriano. If I don't get an Utley/Figgins/Kent, I'd have no problem going with any of the guys I have in my third tier, including Cano. I'm not specifically targeting him by any means, but I'd take him if the time was right.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:48 am

I'm not convinced either. I don't have Cano in my top 12.....

14 hr
60 rbi
75 runs
3 sb

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby BritSox » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:37 pm

I think waiting on 2B is a good idea this year. I got B-Rob and Iguchi last year despite putting it off, and I'm sure there'll be at least one viable fantasy option left, even after ten have gone. Catcher is a funny one, after VMart, Varitek and Mauer (who's imho very overrated) there's so many similar guys. SS is where I'd make sure to get one of the top 5-6 guys.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:56 pm

I actually have the same sophomore slump feeling about Cano... everyone expects him to improve, but considering where he'll probably hit in that Yankee linup, his production probably won't be particularly impressive, regardless of the year he has.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Thursday » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm

It's funny how deep 2B is this year, considering that Figgins will qualify there as well. Think:

Utley
Soriano
Figgins
Reyes
Kent
Lopez
Cantu
Lugo
Giles

Just a glance at that list alone tells you that waiting on 2B isn't so bad. There are cheap/late options also that may be worthwhile later on, such as Iguchi or Loretta. Cano is merely another guy in that list, and it doesn't hurt to pass on him.

Postion scarcity doesn't apply to 2B.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:40 pm

Wish he did but Reyes doesn't qualify at 2B this year. :-[
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jmbdeuce » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:45 pm

Thursday wrote:It's funny how deep 2B is this year, considering that Figgins will qualify there as well. Think:

Utley
Soriano
Figgins
Reyes
Kent
Lopez
Cantu
Lugo
Giles

Just a glance at that list alone tells you that waiting on 2B isn't so bad. There are cheap/late options also that may be worthwhile later on, such as Iguchi or Loretta. Cano is merely another guy in that list, and it doesn't hurt to pass on him.

Neither does Lopez if you have at least a 10 game position minimum. Felipe only played 7 games at 2nd last year.
"TO BE THE MAN, YOU GOTTA BEAT THE MAN. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
jmbdeuce
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Thursday » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:48 pm

jmbdeuce wrote:
Thursday wrote:It's funny how deep 2B is this year, considering that Figgins will qualify there as well. Think:

Utley
Soriano
Figgins
Reyes
Kent
Lopez
Cantu
Lugo
Giles

Neither does Lopez if you have at least a 10 game position minimum. Felipe only played 7 games at 2nd last year.

Sorry, i was just naming dudes that qualified last year, just to give a sample. Myabe i got a little out of hand. :-o

In Yahoo!, where i play year in and year out, 5 games started, or 10 games played give a player eligibility. So if Lopez started 5 games there, he'd get it.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers