I'm Staying Away From Cano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm Staying Away From Cano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm Staying Away From Cano

Postby phillibuster » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:41 pm

Anyone else have a strange feeling about him for 2006? I'm not even going to give him a look. I see him going relatively early in some mocks. I've seen him picked before Kent even. I feel a sophomore jinx...he's being very over-valued. Before Kent?

I wish I could provide some type of statistic for my hunch...but I dont' have one, however will not draft Cano...i'd even take Iguchi over him.

Don't be fooled by the Met logo either...i'd be glad to have any Yankee on my fantasy team as long as they were productive.
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:49 pm

hmmm, I'd actually kind of had my eye on him as a better tahn middling 2B option. I thought he looked decent and don't really have any evidence to suggest that he'd fade. I think that the Yanks are ready for action and that he's likely to be a part of the action.

I haven't quite gotten up to him on my 2nd, more careful reading of Baseball Forecaster though....
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Re: I'm Staying Away From Cano

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 pm

phillibuster wrote:Anyone else have a strange feeling about him for 2006? I'm not even going to give him a look. I see him going relatively early in some mocks. I've seen him picked before Kent even. I feel a sophomore jinx...he's being very over-valued. Before Kent?

I wish I could provide some type of statistic for my hunch...

Well, him going before Kent, Soriano, Utley, Figgins, Giles is crazy. However, he's a top 10 2b. As far as a soph jinx, it only happens 30% of the time over history. Cano is only 23, and put up good numbers for his age. He has to get his G/F ratio down to increase his power. But i see no reason to simply avoid him.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:04 pm

Agreed. I tend to think he might be drafted prematurely because he's a Yankee but I definitely won't avoid him outright.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Minor League Skilz » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:14 pm

I have him near the back end of my top ten.

I don't think he will be a bust. He will still get pitches to hit in the Yanks lineup.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:17 pm

7-10 in my list. would've been happy to take him if kent wasn't available at the right time.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:29 pm

I'd say having Cano just within the top 10, or possible 11th or 12th is just right for him. To have him go before Kent though is ridiculous. In 30 more ABs for Kent last year, he drove in 43 more RBIs and scored 22 more runs, plus Kent even had more SBs than Cano did.

Kent is a top 3-4 2B, who will probably go in the first 7 rounds of a draft.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby RynMan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:31 pm

Amazinz wrote:Agreed. I tend to think he might be drafted prematurely because he's a Yankee but I definitely won't avoid him outright.

Those are my thoughts aswell.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:51 pm

just registering another vote for "bottom bit of the top 10" here. ;-D

it's important to realize that 2B has really gotten deeper since last year. people drafting for position scarcity should really target catchers.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:42 am

2B isn't as top heavy as 3B but its deeper than 3B by far, Cano belongs in the bottom half of the top 10 but I would not feel bad at all having him as my starter. Unless one of the top 4 or 5 2B fall to you early I see no reason to draft one as the 12th best is going to be close to as good as the 6th best.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers