How good is Mike Gonzalez, RP, Pirates, going to be? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How good is Mike Gonzalez, RP, Pirates, going to be?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How good is Mike Gonzalez, RP, Pirates, going to be?

Postby Shelton Southpaw » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:45 pm

How good do you think Mike Gonzalez, the RP, susposively Closer, of the Pittsburgh Pirates, going to be and do this year? How many saves do you think he will have this upcoming, (2006 MLB season)?

I have heard from some sites that he will be the closer & I have read on other sites, like Rotowire.com, that they will possibly have a dual closer role, with Mike Gonzalez & Salomon Torres.

Will he actually be healthy this season or get injured like he did the 2005 season? Would you advise me to pick Salomon Torres up, if he is still available, after our Rotisserie league's draft, the final round, is complete, when free agency is available, or do you think Salomon Torres is not going to be worth picking up for free agency?

Right now I have 2 closers, Todd Jones, Detroit, & Brian Fuentes, Colorado.

Please reply back with any comments & or suggestions you may have. I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thank you.
Shelton Southpaw
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby willy-t » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:05 pm

My closers are Fuentes, Gonzalez, Weathers and Guardado and I think Gonzo is as good as I've got. He has real nice stuff, and plenty of upside. Think he'll get opportinities as Pit are likely to be inm plenty of close games and would expect about 30 saves from him with about an ERA of 3.

He definately has the job.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby giants! » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:15 am

willy-t wrote:

Please dont use the word definately as id say there is at least a 40 percent chance that he doesnt start the season as closer
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:25 am

He sure doe shave the stuff, he had some injury problems last year I believe, but I like him this year for Saves & Ks. I think Pit will be in a lot of save situation games this year.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Re: How good is Mike Gonzalez, RP, Pirates, going to be?

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:33 am

Shelton Southpaw wrote:How good do you think Mike Gonzalez, the RP, susposively Closer, of the Pittsburgh Pirates, going to be and do this year? How many saves do you think he will have this upcoming, (2006 MLB season)?

I have heard from some sites that he will be the closer & I have read on other sites, like Rotowire.com, that they will possibly have a dual closer role, with Mike Gonzalez & Salomon Torres.

Will he actually be healthy this season or get injured like he did the 2005 season? Would you advise me to pick Salomon Torres up, if he is still available, after our Rotisserie league's draft, the final round, is complete, when free agency is available, or do you think Salomon Torres is not going to be worth picking up for free agency?

Please reply back with any comments & or suggestions you may have. I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thank you.

I think he will be quite good and it is his job to lose. I'm looking for 30-33 from him this year.

To answer your question on if he will be injured or not, I don't think we can really answer that right now can we? :-?

I do like Fuentes more this year, but Gonzalez in a keeper league.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 450)

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:37 am

50/50 chance he still has the job by mid season. I do not have a lot of faith but if he gets his control together he should be good.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Trot Nixon » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:01 am

I got him down for about 30 saves this year, so I'm def. trying to get in the later rounds ;-D
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nat Uralice » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:11 am

giants! wrote:
willy-t wrote:

Please dont use the word definately as id say there is at least a 40 percent chance that he doesnt start the season as closer

So you're saying there's only a 60% chance that he even starts the season as the closer? That's nonsense considering he's been named the closer. Whether he holds the job all season is different...
Check rotoworld or mlb.com for confirmation if there are doubters.
Can't worry about tomorrow's pain tonight.
Nat Uralice
College Coach
College Coach

Re: How good is Mike Gonzalez, RP, Pirates, going to be?

Postby silverZ » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:53 am

Shelton Southpaw wrote:Will he actually be healthy this season or get injured like he did the 2005 season? Would you advise me to pick Salomon Torres up, if he is still available, after our Rotisserie league's draft, the final round, is complete, when free agency is available, or do you think Salomon Torres is not going to be worth picking up for free agency?

That part would get a better answer in the draft/trade/waiver forum. ;-D

As for Gonzalez, I think he has filthy pitches and could be a successful closer. It's hard to predict though. It will work itself out at spring training. If you are drafting before spring training, Torres will make a great lateround handcuff pick to whoever grabbed Gonzalez. Torres put up almost 100 IP of 2.5 era last year so he has limited value as a middle reliver. I'm thinking of him as a poor mans Scotty Shields with a chance to become a full time closer. X-I
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:18 am

Gonzalez is a good guy to have. You'll get him on the cheap and you'll get about 35 saves. Don't worry about him losing opps to Torres.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers