More ??s at SP than usual? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

More ??s at SP than usual?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:41 pm

one ton wrote:this is actually why i'm re-thinking my no pitchers early strategy for this year. after the few elite guys, SP seems even sketchier than normal. i'm now thinking of grabbing a peavy or halladay early and not worrying about pitching for a while after that.

This is my typical strategy as well, grab a stud SP in the first say 4 rounds and than wait a bit. However, it seems that this year one can wait even longer. There seems to be few clear-cut studs, but an abundance of upper-tier talent that falls to the middle rounds. Due to this, it SEEMS possible to go with hitters the first 5-6 picks, and then go after a group of pitchers with ace-like possibilities.

As an example of this, I'm looking at a mock done by Fantasy Sports magazine, where Matt Pouiliot of Rotoworld and Ron Shandler participate. The following were selected in the 6th round, and after: Rich Harden, Ben Sheets, Felix Hernandez, Roger Clemens, Bartolo Colon, Tim Hudson, Buehrle, Josh Beckett, Brett Myers, AJ Burnett, John Smoltz, Jason Schmidt, Curt Schilling, Kevin Millwood (In the 13th round, which is kinda suprising), .

I'm in no way saying all of these guys are aces, but with some strong sleeper picks, this would be a pretty solid winning staff.
Last edited by RAmst23 on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moose32 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:42 pm

No ones real high on pitching. In my last draft I got Prior in the 9th, Beckett in the 10th and Lackey in the 13th
moose32
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:40 am

This is by far the deepest season in pitching for a really long time, the SP's this year are incredibly deep, its just not all that top heavy. There is no reason to go heavy pitching in the first 7 or 8 rounds this year, you will have plenty of decent guys left in the 9th round and later.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Thursday » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:55 am

Yeah. Draft pitching late this year. I'm even throwing back 2 pitchers that a lot of people advised me to keep, due to surrounding question marks. Wait on it this year.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers