More ??s at SP than usual? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

More ??s at SP than usual?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

More ??s at SP than usual?

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:48 pm

I've just bought my mags for the year. Glancing through them, some lists online, and of course making my own alterations (Obviously Yadier Molina will be one of the top 5 Catchers at the end of the season..)

Anyway, came to my attention that SP is full of question marks this year, and possibly more than normal?

Santana has thrown alot these last two years, Clemens could be retired, Pedro/RJ/Smoltz aren't any younger, Halladay only threw 140 innings last year, Prior 167 and Harden 128... This year could shape up as a huge crapshoot in starting pitching.

Is anyone waiting on their SPs this upcoming draft year?
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Philly Pride » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:00 pm

I'm waiting on all SP not named Santana, Peavy, or Martinez.

Pedro I think will be good. he had at least 2 leads blown by Looper and now he has a murderer's row of an offense for him, where last year it was just Floyd, Reyes, and Wright. Now it's Reyes, hopefully Beltran, Floyd, Delgado, Wright...basically everyone except Kaz Matsui and Lo Duca is agreat hitter. Unfortunately he loses Cameron in the OF

Peavy is young and still improving, shows no signs of real risk.

Santana's been the best SP the past two years. No regrets about picking him.
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RynMan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:00 pm

I won't be drafting pitching early anyway. With guys like Carpenter in 04, Capuano in 05, I have learnt that you don't need to draft stud pitchers, only to have them stink it up or get injured.

There are alot of question marks, but thats how it goes with pitchers. :-/
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CHE » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:34 pm

I like to fill my pitching staff with abunch of high K guys who are in tiers 5 to 7 ;-D this year the pitcher who i really like is, Kazmir, If you look at his second half splits from last year, he was a stike out king ;-D And your get him pretty cheap.

When i draft pitchers , i go after 4 high k guys in tiers 5 to 7 and then i draft some innings eaters for spots 5 and 6 ( Blanton, and ect.)
ThA KinG : 55 points - tied for first place
CHE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:48 pm

Yeah, I won't be touching pitchers early this year unless Santana or Peavy fall to me in a spot in which I can't pass them up. Too many question marks with the elite guys and there are many interesting choices in the middle rounds.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bucksox » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:25 pm

I wouldn't put Halladay on that list. He had a broken leg. Before that he was rock solid. That's why the 140 INN. He will be the rock on that team as always. Of course I seem to be bias. :-D
bucksox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:36 pm

SP's may have some questions this season but the one thing that really jumps out to me is the lack of stud SP's.

After the top 12 or so (Santana, Predro, Peavy, Halladay, Oswalt, Unit, etc) it really drops off to guys that have ALOT of question marks (Beckett, Schilling, Schmidt) then you get to the guys that are iffy at best.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby one ton » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:09 pm

this is actually why i'm re-thinking my no pitchers early strategy for this year. after the few elite guys, SP seems even sketchier than normal. i'm now thinking of grabbing a peavy or halladay early and not worrying about pitching for a while after that.
one ton
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bucksox » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:40 pm

one ton wrote:this is actually why i'm re-thinking my no pitchers early strategy for this year. after the few elite guys, SP seems even sketchier than normal. i'm now thinking of grabbing a peavy or halladay early and not worrying about pitching for a while after that.

that's usually a pretty good way to go. Sometimes I wait to pick up my first pitcher til the 4th. It works more often than not.
bucksox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mills13 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:27 pm

I went no pitcher till the 8th and I was in first until my main competitor convinced me I needed pitching :)
Mills13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers