Sleeper Alert: Jason Michaels - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleeper Alert: Jason Michaels

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sleeper Alert: Jason Michaels

Postby Philly Pride » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:00 pm

As a part-time OF, Michaels has been able to post solid averages in the last three years with the Phillies. Partially due to Citizens Bank Park being itself, but the guy can legitimately hit.

Cleveland is a pitcher's park, we know that. But Michaels could still be able to produce fantasy wise with around 15 HR, 8-10 SB, and good averages and RBI/runs depend on where he bats in the lineup. Recently he has been projected to bat second.

Thoughts?
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby eftda » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:07 pm

Michaels did better is away games this year when compared to home. I think he should put up solid numbers, but 15 homeruyns but bee too much to expect.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:09 pm

I totally disagree. The thing that makes him the most valuable in real baseball are the walks he takes. But who cares about this in 5x5?

The reality his that he is a zero cat fantasy player. Sure his BA is OK, but he has very little power and provides very little in terms of SBs. In 808 career ABs he has 6 SB and 21 HRs.

Compounding this is the fact that he is moving from a strong hitters park to a poor hitters park and that his career stats are distorted ina way that is favorable to him due to a disporportionate amount of ABs against lefties. And oh yeah he is 30 years old and wil lnot be getting any better.

Over a full season in Cleveland he might deliver something like .280/10/3. This would not even excite people if he were a 2B, but an OF with those stats is utterly from a fantasy perspective.

Like I said, it is a idfferent equation for real MLB, where he does have some clear value to the Indians.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Wharton93 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:21 pm

If the definition of sleeper is you will fall asleep reading his unexciting box scores, then yeah, he's a sleeper. He won't add much value in most leagues. He, along with 3 or 4 other bums, patrolled CF for the Phillies last year and all of them are long gone.
Wharton93
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Philly Pride » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:22 pm

Sleepers are players that have potential to produce. Am I saying that Michaels will get those numbers? No, but I am saying that he has a shot at getting those numbers.
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:35 pm

I definitely agree. If he can continue to get on base I have no doubts that he'll a least score a bunch of runs.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers