Yahoo Player Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Player Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo Player Rankings

Postby Eagle Baseball » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:16 am

Does anyone edit the entire (up to # of players that will be taken in your draft) yahoo player rankings? In the thread about what to have in front of you most agreed that you should have your rankings. I will be doing my first online live draft and was wondering if this is something I should do. I am wondering for a couple of reasons.

1. During the draft is this helpful in that I will not need another piece of paper in front of me to cross the taken players names off?

2. Is this helpful to keep you focused on your rankings and not get caught up in how the draft is progressing and than you begin to doubt your rankings.

3. Is it worth the piece of mind so you don't need to worry about a worst case scenerio in case something happens during the draft. Like your electricity goes out right before your 14th round pick.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slickterp » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:29 am

worth it in the disaster scenario i guess. you don't need to cross the taken guys off, all draft applictaions will eliminate those guys from the lists, or at least make it so you do not have the option of picking them.
slickterp
College Coach
College Coach

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:30 am

i've always found it to be too much work. it's kind of a time-consuming task, and i don't really like their interface. but there are definitely benefits to having the correct people input into the system.

actually, last year's draft i think half the people lost power (they all lived in teh same area), which kinda screwed things up for them. that said, i'm not sure if they had pre-ranked or not.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby youngvader » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:31 am

You 3rd reason is the the one why I do a top 25 to 40 players.

Other than that, you have 90 seconds to make your pick. I just navigate between the different position tab. I generally make my own list by position and cross them when they are taken. But if making a list would help you, go for it.
youngvader
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:48 am

I usually go through and rank them just in case.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby tms298 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:51 am

I go through and rank the first 200 or so, not according to my rankings, but according to the rankings ESPN has for average draft position. I do this just to make it easy to keep in mind what my competitors are thinking.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby rjforlife » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:52 pm

you just should go through and grab some sleepers as they can sometimes be buried extremely deep in yahoos rankings and tough to find in a timed draft setting. other than that the yahoo base rankings are fine.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:22 pm

I've had some luck getting 'sleepers' or reaching in football by just bumping them up a couple of notches above where Yahoo has them.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:02 pm

Waste of time in my opinion. There is no way you can rank from 1 to 200 the players you will want. You need to feel out how the draft is going and see what you need in terms of production at various positions. I would rather just construct a list of players at each position and go from there.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:08 pm

RynMan wrote:Waste of time in my opinion. There is no way you can rank from 1 to 200 the players you will want. You need to feel out how the draft is going and see what you need in terms of production at various positions. I would rather just construct a list of players at each position and go from there.

well, it's kind of a waste of time but if a squirrel blows your transformer or something, having a list can keep you from ending up w/ dudes that Yahoo mysteriously puts way higher than you would. It really doesn't take all that long w/ the interface as you just cruise down it and move the guys you want to change. It's also kind of handy to have at the draft as you just can follow down your adjusted list instead of the Yahoo list.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers