2005 DIPS stats? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2005 DIPS stats?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2005 DIPS stats?

Postby reiser » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:27 pm

I was looking for a decent list of 2005 DIPS stats...Futility Infielder used to have a decent list. ESPN has DIPS%, but I'm not quite sure how it works. Shouldn't some pitcher's DIPS be negative?
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2005 DIPS stats?

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm

reiser wrote:I was looking for a decent list of 2005 DIPS stats...Futility Infielder used to have a decent list. ESPN has DIPS%, but I'm not quite sure how it works. Shouldn't some pitcher's DIPS be negative?

ESPN has each pitcher's DIPS ERA and the DIPS% is the (DIPS ERA)/Actual ERA. I think what you are looking for is the (DIPS ERA - Actual ERA), which is positive if the pitcher is likely to be worse in 2006 than in 2005 and negative if they are likely to be better. You can see the same thing with DIPS%, but a pitcher who is likely to be better will have a DIPS% that is less than 1.00, while a guy likely to be worse in 2006 will have a DIPS% greater than 1.

Another place to look at a similar number is on Hardball Tims where they give the pitcher's FIPS (fielding independent) pitching stats. Keep in mind, however, that these measures are intended to remove the effect of both fielding and "luck" on a pitcher's outcomes. In fantasy play, however, you want to remove the luck, but you might not want to remove the fielding. If the same fielders are coming back, the pitcher's outcomes might not change much.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Re: 2005 DIPS stats?

Postby reiser » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:13 am

ESPN has each pitcher's DIPS ERA and the DIPS% is the (DIPS ERA)/Actual ERA. I think what you are looking for is the (DIPS ERA - Actual ERA), which is positive if the pitcher is likely to be worse in 2006 than in 2005 and negative if they are likely to be better. You can see the same thing with DIPS%, but a pitcher who is likely to be better will have a DIPS% that is less than 1.00, while a guy likely to be worse in 2006 will have a DIPS% greater than 1. [/quote]

Thanks GTWMA-I like to use it as a final check on pitchers, so to speak, and actually just like to check out the extreme outliers. I guess I kind of preferred how futilty infielder presented the data.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers