When is Brandon Wood coming up??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

When is Brandon Wood coming up???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When is Brandon Wood coming up???

Postby DWright5 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:47 pm

is this guy gonna be up this year or even next year? im not so sure he only played High A last year so im kinda worried.... when will he come up and how sure are you guys that hell be a stud?
DWright5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby El Gaupo » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:44 pm

I read somewhere that if Mcpherson struggles he could get a call at 3b. Probably will be a sept call -up and spend most of the year in AAA
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:31 am

Not sure where you read it, but I don't see how McPherson struggling would include Wood. He hasn't played 3rd at all yet and McPherson isn't the 3B starter, Figgins is. Wood is also blocked right now by Kendrick/Aybar/Callaspo from going to AAA. They would have to do some trading, changing positions, or get promoted for Wood to come in the picture.

Wood will most likely start the year at AA and should stay there for most all of the year. I wouldn't expect a call up until next year and it depends really what happens with other players on the Angels. I'm not sure he will be a stud or not personally, I think the upcoming seasons will tell us more about Wood then his last season (call me a skeptic).
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:12 am

hybrid wrote:Not sure where you read it, but I don't see how McPherson struggling would include Wood. He hasn't played 3rd at all yet and McPherson isn't the 3B starter, Figgins is. Wood is also blocked right now by Kendrick/Aybar/Callaspo from going to AAA. They would have to do some trading, changing positions, or get promoted for Wood to come in the picture.

Wood will most likely start the year at AA and should stay there for most all of the year. I wouldn't expect a call up until next year and it depends really what happens with other players on the Angels. I'm not sure he will be a stud or not personally, I think the upcoming seasons will tell us more about Wood then his last season (call me a skeptic).

I would agree but who is really blocking a SS in the Angel system? Orlando Cabrera? If his stud status is still in tact at the end of 06, I dont see how he couldnt be a starter in 07. I too am sceptical on him currently considering it was only A ball. Does anyone remember what Brian Dopirak did 2 years ago and then fall on his a$$ last year.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby hybrid » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:22 am

Erick Aybar plays SS, who is a pretty good prospect in his own right.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Hitdogman » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:38 pm

Wood will most likely start the year at AA and should stay there for most all of the year. I wouldn't expect a call up until next year and it depends really what happens with other players on the Angels.

I completely agree with you here. Woods will probably spend half a year in AA and the other half in AAA. This due in large part to his age, 21 as of 03/02/06, and the log jam that is in front of him. He'll get the obligatory call up in September but as of now he looks to share the same fate as Ryan Howard for the near future.

I'm not sure he will be a stud or not personally, I think the upcoming seasons will tell us more about Wood then his last season (call me a skeptic).

Its purely subjective but everything points to Wood being a future All-Star. By the age of 20 he already has a full year in low A as well as a full year in hi A ball with a handful of AB's at AAA. Not only did he lead the minors in HR's last year with 43 in 536 AB's ( 1 in every 12 AB's) but also had 101 extra base hits (the highest total in minor league history). For comparison sake, if you take Bond's 73 HR season of 2001 he had a total of 107 extra base hits.

Wood also set an AFL (Arizona Fall League) record this off season for most HR's in an AFL season with 14 HR's in 114 AB's (1 in every 8 AB's). He also had 4 HR's in one of his AFL games this off season.

If Wood was 22 or 23 when he put up the numbers he did last year then I would have to agree with the skeptics out there. However, being 20 years old and putting up numbers like these for a shortstop no less makes me believe we're looking at a future stud.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that he also cracks the top three for BA's top 100 when it comes out in a few weeks from now.
Hitdogman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hybrid » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:14 pm

Hitdogman wrote:
I'm not sure he will be a stud or not personally, I think the upcoming seasons will tell us more about Wood then his last season (call me a skeptic).

Its purely subjective but everything points to Wood being a future All-Star. By the age of 20 he already has a full year in low A as well as a full year in hi A ball with a handful of AB's at AAA. Not only did he lead the minors in HR's last year with 43 in 536 AB's ( 1 in every 12 AB's) but also had 101 extra base hits (the highest total in minor league history). For comparison sake, if you take Bond's 73 HR season of 2001 he had a total of 107 extra base hits.

Wood also set an AFL (Arizona Fall League) record this off season for most HR's in an AFL season with 14 HR's in 114 AB's (1 in every 8 AB's). He also had 4 HR's in one of his AFL games this off season.

If Wood was 22 or 23 when he put up the numbers he did last year then I would have to agree with the skeptics out there. However, being 20 years old and putting up numbers like these for a shortstop no less makes me believe we're looking at a future stud.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that he also cracks the top three for BA's top 100 when it comes out in a few weeks from now.

I wouldn't say everything points to him being an All-Star. Things look like he has the potential to be that, but you never know.

You bring up Low A, but don't you find it odd how below pedestrian he was there? He has had one awful year and one amazing year, which are you really to believe? He has the same plate discipline but all of a sudden his avg. goes way up and he is hitting for huge power? I just don't know how anyone can believe he is a sure bet. He wouldn't be the first young minor leaguer to put up great numbers in one year and dissappoint.

BTW, just cause BA might have him that high ... well it doesn't really mean anything about his future status.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:54 pm

I find it interesting that Kendrick's numbers also took a bit of a spike playing in the same high A team as Wood (in one of the top hitters leagues). I also checked Aybar's numbers when he was there in 04, and apparently, his numbers were up that one year also though not to the same degree.

Anyway, there's not much chance the 05 version of Wood is the real deal, IMHO -- well, at least not merely taking his 05 numbers at face value.

The question here is would you rather have Drew or Wood, and to me, it seems like Drew is the safer bet and also the better choice if you need the help asap -- oops, I must've gotten the posts mixed up though that other post was made by the same OP. :*)

And oh, somebody mentioned Dopirak, but obviously, he's not the only case. I guess people forgot about Jeremy Reed already. :D And even 32-year-old MLB-ers can have a big time career year w/ 50+ HRs too. ;)
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball