johnny Gomes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

johnny Gomes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tal1286 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:06 pm

what is your outlook for him fantasy-wise this year?
the d-Rays have him at the top of the depth chart for DH. Do you think he'll stick there?

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:43 pm

All things staying the same, if he stays in TB I project him having slightly lesser numbers on average this year as pitchers and scouting reports become more targeted. I'm predictiing him to hit 25, 85, .275 with about 12 steals.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Postby KOSTAS » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:50 pm

go_jays_go wrote:Lets just say apart from Crawford and if Huff plays in the OF i'm staying away from all other Rays OFer's. :-°

-- sounds like a strategy you might regret...
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:59 pm

I really like Gomes for the upcoming season and the future. I think he's deserved an opportunity for the lngest. I don't think he's even close to being a 40hr hitter but I definitely think he can consistently hover around 30hr a season. Now what I worry about is whether or not the avg was a fluke and will he get better at stealing bases.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Belle4Hall88 wrote:I watched Johnny Gomes all last year and let me tell you he is nasty. He isn't going to all of sudden forget how to hit. I am telling you this guy has a lot of future 40 HR seasons ahead of him. I see your point about trading him, but I'd trade Huff. And you would need a decent pitcher in return, perhaps somebody on the lines of a Jose Contreras or so.

He might hit 30 HR, but 40 is probably out of the question. I actually see something more like mid 20s. And his .280 avg, no way that happens this year. His BABIP last years was an amazing .350. League average is around .300. That shows luck to me...
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KOSTAS » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:21 pm

Remember the guy is still very young and has been continually proving the doubters wrong....

Don't know if I would bet against him continuing to improve. Coaches and teammates love him because he is intense and dedicated to impproving. His OBP has always been solid and he seems to know how to get on base-- helping his steals. He is a very fast runner for a bigger man and knows _how_ to steal bases ala Jose Canseco. I see no reason why he does not get you 30+ bombs with a full year of AB's. Average might not be much higher than .275, but that should be well worth the power and speed combo-- very rare combination...
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:23 pm

Maybe he's juicin!!!! lol jk
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Postby Ender » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:01 pm

The power is for real, the average isn't. Expect a dip down around .250-.260 in average but he could hit 30-35 HR's and 100 RBI in a full season. Kind of like Burnitz numbers back when he was a Brewer. He simply does not make contact enough to support a good average and he never showed it in the minors either. Its possible that he could see a big jump in contact rate but I wouldnt' go out of my way to bet on it with his minor league career.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:17 pm

I really don't see why people have no love for Gomes. His stats look eerily similar to Cantu's in terms of minor league progression, and who thought Cantu would go 28/117? No one did, that's for sure. While I'm not saying he'll go for 28/117, he will, in that lineup with Crawford, Lugo, and Cantu in front of him, will post more than respectable numbers. I have him pegged for this:

27 HR
90 RBI
15 SBs
85 Rs

To me, that is a nice conmbo of power/speed, and I bet you can get him cheaper than most expect.

AL only valuation - $18
Mixed League - $10

Similar to Jay Gibbons with more SBs, who also goes unnoticed in both formats!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby RynMan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:16 pm

I remember a couple of Tampa Bay fans posting a while back saying that they just weren't sold at all on Gomes. Maybe it was hybrid or Warrick? Raiders Umpire? Anyway, the consensus was that he is overrated - and when your own fans think that, it's saying something. :-?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers