johnny Gomes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

johnny Gomes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

johnny Gomes

Postby tal1286 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:33 pm

What do you guys think about his potential for this season? Will he get playing time or will he struggle to get around 500 ABs? And also, how do you think he'll do?

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:43 pm

Lets just say apart from Crawford and if Huff plays in the OF i'm staying away from all other Rays OFer's. :-°
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:08 pm

TB should trade him while his stock is still high. He overachieved in my opinion last year. They should trade him for some pitching. Maybe Baltimore for R. Lopez or maybe even Penn?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:29 pm

yeah right thats crazy they shouldnt trade him. he is freaking nasty. i say 36 HR this year and 105 RBI
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Phatferd » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:30 pm

Belle4Hall88 wrote:yeah right thats crazy they shouldnt trade him. he is freaking nasty. i say 36 HR this year and 105 RBI

Hahahahahaha ;-D :-o ;-D :-o

:-?
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:10 pm

Bell4Hall...why not trade him? Its not like TB has a shortage of offense. Even if he doesn have those numbers he won't help TB win as many games as a quality pitching staff, which they don't have at all. What they have shortage of is quality starting pitching. Kazmir is going to be great, Fossum finally should some promise, and Jackson may be better than all of them if he can figure stuff out. Hendrickson, McClung, and Waechter are horrible. TB has Young & Gathright without a spot. Huff and Lugo need to be traded soon or they will get nothing for them. Do you really think offense will be a problem? Its pitching that wins games and TB managment, and their doing better, must realize that pithcing is worth far more to them than hitting. Gomes has value and they never expected him to produce like he did last year...so trade him while you can for a decent value pitcher. It's not that hard to figure out.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:26 pm

Baseball Forecaster suggested that Gomes had an extremely lucky year and I'm not sure that he has quite the value that his numbers would suggest b/c he's unlikely to repeat them this year. At least according to them.

Once you get to that point, I'd have to suspect that it'd be hard to trade him b/c you are looking at him to improve and trying to get that much value out of him while anyone you talk to would be arguing the opposite. If you aren't close on value, everybody stays put. I'm certainly going to keep an eye on him though.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:27 pm

ooooooooo. They should trade him to Atlanta for one of the Brave's middle-of-the-rotation SPs. I think we'd give you Kyle Davies for him. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:29 pm

I watched Johnny Gomes all last year and let me tell you he is nasty. He isn't going to all of sudden forget how to hit. I am telling you this guy has a lot of future 40 HR seasons ahead of him. I see your point about trading him, but I'd trade Huff. And you would need a decent pitcher in return, perhaps somebody on the lines of a Jose Contreras or so.
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:03 pm

Conteras isn't long-term by any means. I think they need to go much younger for either Huff or Gomes. I've heard Oakland has had interest in Gomes, though with the signing of Thomas I'm not sure how much currently. But I think a package deal...say a combo of Saarloos/Meyer/Cruz for 1 or the other???
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers