Fate Riding on Kotchman and Santana? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Fate Riding on Kotchman and Santana?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fate Riding on Kotchman and Santana?

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:57 am

Is the fate of he 2006 Angels going to rely on the bat of Casey Kotchman and arm of Ervin Santana? It sure seems like it's set up that way. If Casey Kotchman has 20 HR, 90 RBI, .290 AVG and Ervin Santana has 14 W, 160 K, 4.20 ERA, the Angels will win the division for a third time in a row. Now if Kotch and Ervin struggle, I don't see the Angels getting passed Oakland and they'll be golfing in early October.

The Angels lineup is too weak right now outside of Guerrero to give the starting rotation enough support this season. We need Kotchman, McPherson, Mathis/J. Molina and Rivera to step it up and live up to the expectations. It is also important Santana has a strong year. The Angels have a strong first 3 (although Colon and Escobar have injury concerns starting the year). After that, we need Santana to consistently improve and have Carrasco put up something half as good as Byrd's 2005 season for us to stay in ballgames. If we get a lead enterring the 7th inning, the game should be over. Our bullpen is even more improved with the addition of Romero and retention of Donnelly, Shields, and KRod.

The season rides on the youth of the Angels.

Projected Starting Lineup:
1. C. Figgins 3B
2. D. Erstad CF
3. V. Guerrero RF
4. G. Anderson LF/DH
5. J. Rivera DH / D. McPherson 3B
6. C. Kotchman 1B
7. O. Cabrera SS
8. J. Mathis/J. Molina C
9. A. Kennedy 2B
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:36 pm

Here is how I see the Angels this year.

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding them looking for Kotchman and Santana carrying them.

I think they have such a strong farm, that they feel like they will waste it if they continue to sign all these big name FAs. Why spend all this money on guys who will prevent the young guys from coming up.

I think they want to see what they have in Mathis, Saunders, Santana, Kotchman and possibly Weaver. In a year or two add Kendrick, Wood and Aybar. Why go out and spend 20 million on a MI if you can get similar production for the league minimum?

I just think its a transistion phase right now, that will really only last a year. I think if they don't see promise in Mathis, Kotchman or Santana they will go out and find an established player to replace them.

I'm not one to jump all over Stoneman. I think we have too much young talent to just go out and sign FAs for the hell of it. We need to find out how good these guys really are.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sLim » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:34 pm

i wouldnt say that kotchman and santana have as much riding on them as it says in ur title...it does feel like a rebuilding year tho...a chance to bring up some youth...but i still feel like the angels should win the AL west...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:09 pm

I hope were not done. We need one more bat. The Manny trade seems to be heating up again. I think the chances of that trade getting done just went up again. Maybe more than 50% now?

I hope Stonemen does not deal during the year at the trading deadline, as it always costs more then and it does now.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Phatferd » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:15 pm

I think our rotation has more concerns then our lineup. If our lineup can live up to their potential then I think we are OK. When Santana and a rookie or Carrasco are your 4th and 5th starters you are in trouble.

Why would you trade a SP to get Manny? Then we would have Santana being our 3rd SP, with Saunders and Carrasco most likely filling up the rotation. This would kill us.

The only way we make the Manny trade is if we sign Weaver and even if we do that and trade Escobar, we still weaken our SP.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sLim » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:00 pm

that manny trade is ridiculous...

u have to be insane to accept that deal...

santana, figgins, wood, and kendrik for manny...on top of that the angels are suppose to pick up the rest of mannys 75 mil...

thats a slap in the face from the dumbass red sox nation...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Phatferd » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:56 pm

sLim wrote:that manny trade is ridiculous...

u have to be insane to accept that deal...

santana, figgins, wood, and kendrik for manny...on top of that the angels are suppose to pick up the rest of mannys 75 mil...

thats a slap in the face from the dumbass red sox nation...

So true...

I would only do the Escobar and Rivera deal....I would still be hesitant to take that one as well. Escobar is arguably our best pitcher when healthy. If we trade him, this already weak staff becomes that much weaker.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sLim » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:11 pm

yea...but i would take that deal...rivera is a solid hitter...but isnt going to be an everyday starter with our current OFs...and escobar could be our best pitcher...but i have lost alot of faith in his health...id trade him and rivera away easily for a power bat like manny...

that would turn the most deadly 3-4 duo from boston to anahiem...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Phatferd » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:46 pm

I dunno, look at the early 2000s Texas teams. The Yankees, they have tons of hitting, but can't win without pitching.

The Red Sox had a great staff in 2004, so I tend to favor pitching.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sLim » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:14 pm

i think the angels need a power bat to complement vlad...and another solid pitcher who could be the number 2 guy behind bart...kinda like how the jays got burnett for halladay...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim