BEST LINEUP IN THE NL? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BEST LINEUP IN THE NL?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:39 pm

Phatferd wrote:I think Bill Hall will play in about 100 games...

I think he will play 3B a lot to give Koskie days off. I also think he will play a game in the MI once a week to give some of the younger guys a day off.

Just my opinion.


Oh yeah, no doubt about that. I think you're looking at 400-450 AB this year. He'll play third against lefties, and he'll spell JJ and Rickie at times as well. He's also working on playing CF. If you figure 10-15 games at both 2B and SS, 40 or so at 3B, maybe 5 in CF, plus pinch hit ABs, you're looking at 300-325 or so AB there. That's assuming perfect health. Any injuries at those positions (something Koskie is known for), and Hall becomes everyday.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1124
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Scooter, do you really think they will hit Koskie third? I would have thought El Cabello would hit 3 with Jenkins 4h, Koskie 5. I just dont think he is a good enough hitter to hit 3rd, and seems like a better fit in the 5 hole.

Also Scooter, what do you project from Weeks this season? How about Hardy? just interested to hear a Brewers' fans opinion.....
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:36 pm

RynMan wrote:Scooter, do you really think they will hit Koskie third? I would have thought El Cabello would hit 3 with Jenkins 4h, Koskie 5. I just dont think he is a good enough hitter to hit 3rd, and seems like a better fit in the 5 hole.

Also Scooter, what do you project from Weeks this season? How about Hardy? just interested to hear a Brewers' fans opinion.....


Sure man, no problem.

I am thouroughly unsure who will hit 3rd. I projected Koskie simply because of the L-R-L-R-L-R nature of the lineup 3-8 in that scenario. However, Yost is a creature of habit in some ways. From everything I've read thus far, he is quite set on Lee 4th, Jenkins 5th. Jenkins really prospered hitting 5th for whatever reason. He had some very strange splits last year:

Batting 3rd -- .258/.354/.383 for a .747 OPS
Batting 5th -- .315/.378/.586 for a .964 OPS

So, as you can see the OPS is nearly 120 points apart. That could be a fluke (not that big of sample sizes), but I get the idea that Yost likes to stick with what works. That said, who knows, maybe he starts Jenks 3rd and see what happens. However, I'm like 95% sure Lee hits 4th. His RBI production was great there last year, and I've yet to see a projected lineup with his situated elsewhere.

The other guy I can see hitting third is Rickie Weeks. He has a legitimate power stroke that could fit in 3rd.

This is what I tentatively project from Weeks and Hardy

Weeks -- .270 25 HR 80 RBI 30 SB
Hardy -- .275 15 HR 58 RBI

I have Hardy projected with a higher average than other sources out there (Bill James for instance projects .253). I guess just watching his stroke from June on last year (in which he hit .308) really encouraged me. He really started to trust his surgically repaired shoulder and started ripping the ball into the gaps.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1124
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:03 pm

That's awesome, thanks Scooter! ;-D
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby CHE » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:26 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:
RynMan wrote:Scooter, do you really think they will hit Koskie third? I would have thought El Cabello would hit 3 with Jenkins 4h, Koskie 5. I just dont think he is a good enough hitter to hit 3rd, and seems like a better fit in the 5 hole.

Also Scooter, what do you project from Weeks this season? How about Hardy? just interested to hear a Brewers' fans opinion.....


Sure man, no problem.

I am thouroughly unsure who will hit 3rd. I projected Koskie simply because of the L-R-L-R-L-R nature of the lineup 3-8 in that scenario. However, Yost is a creature of habit in some ways. From everything I've read thus far, he is quite set on Lee 4th, Jenkins 5th. Jenkins really prospered hitting 5th for whatever reason. He had some very strange splits last year:

Batting 3rd -- .258/.354/.383 for a .747 OPS
Batting 5th -- .315/.378/.586 for a .964 OPS

So, as you can see the OPS is nearly 120 points apart. That could be a fluke (not that big of sample sizes), but I get the idea that Yost likes to stick with what works. That said, who knows, maybe he starts Jenks 3rd and see what happens. However, I'm like 95% sure Lee hits 4th. His RBI production was great there last year, and I've yet to see a projected lineup with his situated elsewhere.

The other guy I can see hitting third is Rickie Weeks. He has a legitimate power stroke that could fit in 3rd.

This is what I tentatively project from Weeks and Hardy

Weeks -- .270 25 HR 80 RBI 30 SB
Hardy -- .275 15 HR 58 RBI

I have Hardy projected with a higher average than other sources out there (Bill James for instance projects .253). I guess just watching his stroke from June on last year (in which he hit .308) really encouraged me. He really started to trust his surgically repaired shoulder and started ripping the ball into the gaps.


What does James project for BJ Upton and Weeks, if you dont mind lookin up the stats.. :-D
ThA KinG : 55 points - tied for first place
CHE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 558
Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cloverhurstdawg » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:29 pm

Weeks -- .270 25 HR 80 RBI 30 SB

If Weeks approaches those numbers, my fantasy team will be very happy.
cloverhurstdawg
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 343
Joined: 29 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: georgia

Postby lostraven » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:09 pm

I'm really suprised to see the Phillies at the top of so many lists.
Would anyone want to take the time to explain the rational for that?

-ShawnD
lostraven
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 299
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis, MO

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:30 pm

CHE wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:
RynMan wrote:Scooter, do you really think they will hit Koskie third? I would have thought El Cabello would hit 3 with Jenkins 4h, Koskie 5. I just dont think he is a good enough hitter to hit 3rd, and seems like a better fit in the 5 hole.

Also Scooter, what do you project from Weeks this season? How about Hardy? just interested to hear a Brewers' fans opinion.....


Sure man, no problem.

I am thouroughly unsure who will hit 3rd. I projected Koskie simply because of the L-R-L-R-L-R nature of the lineup 3-8 in that scenario. However, Yost is a creature of habit in some ways. From everything I've read thus far, he is quite set on Lee 4th, Jenkins 5th. Jenkins really prospered hitting 5th for whatever reason. He had some very strange splits last year:

Batting 3rd -- .258/.354/.383 for a .747 OPS
Batting 5th -- .315/.378/.586 for a .964 OPS

So, as you can see the OPS is nearly 120 points apart. That could be a fluke (not that big of sample sizes), but I get the idea that Yost likes to stick with what works. That said, who knows, maybe he starts Jenks 3rd and see what happens. However, I'm like 95% sure Lee hits 4th. His RBI production was great there last year, and I've yet to see a projected lineup with his situated elsewhere.

The other guy I can see hitting third is Rickie Weeks. He has a legitimate power stroke that could fit in 3rd.

This is what I tentatively project from Weeks and Hardy

Weeks -- .270 25 HR 80 RBI 30 SB
Hardy -- .275 15 HR 58 RBI

I have Hardy projected with a higher average than other sources out there (Bill James for instance projects .253). I guess just watching his stroke from June on last year (in which he hit .308) really encouraged me. He really started to trust his surgically repaired shoulder and started ripping the ball into the gaps.


What does James project for BJ Upton and Weeks, if you dont mind lookin up the stats.. :-D


I don't know Upton, I only have the Brewers numbers in front of me. James projected the following for Weeks:

.267 26 HR 86 RBI 27 SB
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1124
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:45 pm

Sometimes without really seeing some of these teams on paper you forget how loaded some of them are.

Any lineup with Abreu, Burrell, Utley, Howard, Rowand & Rollins should really put up some runs this year especially in that ballpark.

Too bad the year isn't 1999 or so..the Dodgers would be stacked with Lofton, Kent, Mueller, etc...LOL
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1080
Joined: 25 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In the Kingdome watching Junior, The Unit & Edgar

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:07 pm

lostraven wrote:I'm really suprised to see the Phillies at the top of so many lists.
Would anyone want to take the time to explain the rational for that?

-ShawnD
Well they were 2nd the NL last year in Runs and had the best OBP. A full year out of Howard should make them better.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 337)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact