Guys that you think the consensus might be wrong... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Guys that you think the consensus might be wrong...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby daullaz » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:45 am

I think the consensus is wrong on Justin Morneau. The kid was hurt last year, but when he debuted the year before he was a monster. I think he's generally being drafted as a backup in most leagues, but he'll finish top-ten for sure.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby luckygehrig » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:09 am

I don't if there's still such a huge consensus for Joe Mauer, but I've been hurt by him the last couple of years. Sure, he's been injured, but even when healthy, he hasn't hit to the supposed potential that he has.

Also, I disagree with Iconoclastic about Jason Bay. The guy's a beast and he doesn't even have anyone hitting around him in that lineup. The guy's gonna be huge for quite awhile and deservedly so. I definitely think he could be early second round value.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:12 am

luckygehrig wrote:I don't if there's still such a huge consensus for Joe Mauer, but I've been hurt by him the last couple of years. Sure, he's been injured, but even when healthy, he hasn't hit to the supposed potential that he has.

Also, I disagree with Iconoclastic about Jason Bay. The guy's a beast and he doesn't even have anyone hitting around him in that lineup. The guy's gonna be huge for quite awhile and deservedly so. I definitely think he could be early second round value.

I agree with you on Mauer. Frankly, if not for the 10-12 SBs he brings to the table, he would be more or less in the same medicore caliber as most of the other top 12 ranked Cs not named VM. I understand there is upside, but his power is subpar even for a C. Basically avg and a little SB help.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheMeXiKaN » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:08 am

Man, the title of this thread is a grammatical nightmare. "Guys that the consensus on you think might be wrong" doesnt make much sense. Maybe "Guys that you think the consensus might be wrong on" or even "Guys on whom you think the consensus might be wrong" would be a better title.

My opinion?

If the consensus on Miguel Cabrera is anything but that hes a sure first rounder, i think thats wrong. Even if his lineup is weaker this year, hes still got so much upside, and hes already one of the best pure hitters I've ever seen. I'm a big Met fan, and even I dont think that Wright is more valuable than Cabrera this year. I dont think that the consensus has established that, but I've sensed some doubt that MCab is worth that all important 1st round pick. Personally, I'd rank MCab, and his fellow young stud Teixeira, right under the big 3 (Arod, Pujols, Vlad) and above Manny and Ortiz.
- - - - - - - - - There Is No Spoon - - - - - - - - -
TheMeXiKaN
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:15 am

TheMeXiKaN wrote:Man, the title of this thread is a grammatical nightmare. "Guys that the consensus on you think might be wrong" doesnt make much sense. Maybe "Guys that you think the consensus might be wrong on" or even "Guys on whom you think the consensus might be wrong" would be a better title.

My opinion?

If the consensus on Miguel Cabrera is anything but that hes a sure first rounder, i think thats wrong. Even if his lineup is weaker this year, hes still got so much upside, and hes already one of the best pure hitters I've ever seen. I'm a big Met fan, and even I dont think that Wright is more valuable than Cabrera this year. I dont think that the consensus has established that, but I've sensed some doubt that MCab is worth that all important 1st round pick. Personally, I'd rank MCab, and his fellow young stud Teixeira, right under the big 3 (Arod, Pujols, Vlad) and above Manny and Ortiz.

If it makes you happy...
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:19 am

TheMeXiKaN wrote: "Guys that you think the consensus might be wrong on."

Never end a sentence with a preposition. There is your grammar lesson for the day.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:30 am

I think people are wrong to not think of Hafner as a beast. There's too much talk of him hogging util spots instead of him just being a beast. I think he should be drafted in the first 3 rounds of every draft.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:41 am

Brandon Wood. Minors, I know, but I think all of his home runs last season are clouding peoples' minds to the fact that he still strikes out way too much.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Shadow of the Sun* » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:43 am

Grady Sizemore. Way too much hype.
Shadow of the Sun*
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Phatferd » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:51 am

OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:
TheMeXiKaN wrote: "Guys that you think the consensus might be wrong on."

Never end a sentence with a preposition. There is your grammar lesson for the day.

Not to pick on you Scotty, but that isn't true. There is no grammatical rule stating such a thing. It is all a style thing. I would suggest not ending a sentence on a preposition if you can find a better alternative, however, it is not a rule.

"He didn't know what he was getting into." "I found this tool, but I don't know what it is used for." "I didn't know what it was all about"? These are all acceptable sentences.

;-D ;-D
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers