King Felix is the #5 guy in rotation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

King Felix is the #5 guy in rotation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby cordscords » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:06 pm

Didnt he have some kind of a shoulder problem last year? I think the M's said they didnt want him throwing his slider (people say it's his best pitch) that often, and they only want him to go 6/7 innings if they have a comfortable lead.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby riverrat » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:27 pm

He had a bout of shoulder bursitis early in the year. Once healed, it didnt bother him thru the remainder of the year. At least it wasnt mentioned.
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:32 pm

I can't see how this helps his value. At most, he's getting 190 IP this year. If you pick King Felix in a redraft league, ride him out for some starts then trade him. Most likely in the 2nd half, is pitching duties will be limited, no matter how good he is throwing.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Y`s Guy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:00 pm

Being a #5 hurts fantasy value everytime. You lose starts every time the team gets a day off, skipping the 5 hole. And after the 1st 2 weeks of the season, the spot in order has little relevance on who you might face, as every teams rotation schedule has been altered by week 3, due to off days. Fantasy wise, it's a negative.

I disagree big time when considering that this is Felix Hernandez. The Mariners babied him last season. In 2006 they will not.

The early-season skips for the prototypical SP just may occur for him but once May rolls around the M's will ride him like a stallion, I believe, because he is too good to ignore. I am sure he'll get 30 starts and that is a positve in fantasy, not a negative.

He ain't Juan Dominguez, Josh Towers or Esteban Loiaza (all mediocre at best #5s). He's the Mariners best prospect.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 278)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby theclefe » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:19 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:
Being a #5 hurts fantasy value everytime. You lose starts every time the team gets a day off, skipping the 5 hole. And after the 1st 2 weeks of the season, the spot in order has little relevance on who you might face, as every teams rotation schedule has been altered by week 3, due to off days. Fantasy wise, it's a negative.

I disagree big time when considering that this is Felix Hernandez. The Mariners babied him last season. In 2006 they will not.

The early-season skips for the prototypical SP just may occur for him but once May rolls around the M's will ride him like a stallion, I believe, because he is too good to ignore. I am sure he'll get 30 starts and that is a positve in fantasy, not a negative.

He ain't Juan Dominguez, Josh Towers or Esteban Loiaza (all mediocre at best #5s). He's the Mariners best prospect.

When they have a .400 winning percentage come may, they better not be riding him like a stallion. I wouldn't mind if they did push him over the next few years, but it would be pointless until they can start winning more games.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby riverrat » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:33 pm

RAmst23,
I like your idea about trading him during the 2nd half of the season on some unsuspecting manager. M's management is telling everybody they will be babying him...he's only 19yo.
A current thread, Mock Draft II completed ( http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=166344 ) has him drafted in the 5th round. High for somebody who may not pitch many additional innings in the 2nd half?
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bucksox » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:40 pm

just because he is their 5th in rotation now, does not mean that that will ring true all season long. Players get hurt, rotations do get shuffled and IMO I think even though they might have him on a short leash this year, he doesn't wind up as the #5 at the end of this season.
bucksox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:03 pm

theclefe wrote:When they have a .400 winning percentage come may, they better not be riding him like a stallion. I wouldn't mind if they did push him over the next few years, but it would be pointless until they can start winning more games.

While their April record could be under .500, this isn't a .400 team by any shape. They have Felix all year, added Washburn, Jojima, which are big upgrades, and Ichiro, Beltre likely have better years.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby bucksox » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:06 pm

I totally agree. Seattle will have a much improved club this year. AL West should be very interesting. upgrades from SEA and TEX should at very least not make them whipping posts.
bucksox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers