Day of Draft: What to bring? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Day of Draft: What to bring?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Day of Draft: What to bring?

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:16 pm

Alright, so it's draft day in your money league. Assume it's a live draft on Yahoo. What do you have in front of you and the computer?

(Don't just say beer and munchies)

Also please tell me how this keeps you organized for each of your picks. I'm trying to get a feel as to what I need to have in front of me on draft day.

(I know there was another topic on this, but I couldn't find it among the archives)
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:24 pm

I like having a list of basic rankings (tiers, dollars, ect.) infront of me...nothing more, nothing less.

I'll just cross players off the list and make notes on it. I use websites for stats.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:27 pm

If you are doing a money league, I would advise you join a free Yahoo one just to get used to the software, the time constraints, etc. It will help in the prep.

As to what to bring, if it is online, I usually have printouts of my rankings and Projections by position in front of me organized so I can find them quickly. And IE windows open to online references for quick lookups.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J_Cuz » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:36 pm

Position Rankings= important

Projected lineups/rotations (w/injury notations)= equally important.

If your on a computer you want to have mlb.com open and try to investiate a player's injury status prior to selecting him. Team pages will tell you if a team has contingent plans for replacing an injured player. This will keep you prepared for dropping a players rank accordingly (like Gagne last year).

I like to have everyone healthy to start a season unless I'm taking a late flyer on an injury risk who may return mid season.
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Honus » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:40 pm

In addition to my draft list organized by position, I think it is also important to have a piece of paper that lists C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, OF1, OF2, OF3, U, SP1-5, Closer 1-3, etc. Once you make a pick, cross that position off. I know Yahoo has that little indicator on the screen, but sometimes it slots a guy differently than you would and the slip of paper is more convenient. You don't want to be stuck with only 2 rounds to go and you don't even have a complete starting roster yet.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:23 pm

Strippers? ;-7
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GoatLocker » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:23 pm

A spreadsheet with teams across the top in draft order and positions down the side.

Allows you to not only keep track of who has been drafted, but it also help you know who needs what and you can anticipate who to take and where to go.

If everybody already has a 2B and you don't and don't have MI, you can probably wait a little bit.

Or, you can use draft software and keep track that way if you trust the software.
Cliff
NL West Winners - San Diego Padres
GoatLocker
College Coach
College Coach

Postby phillibuster » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:20 pm

I agree with everyone, but also try not to overload on lists/rankings...have one or two main lists to actually keep track of the draft with...I usually use a positional ranking and overall ranking list to mark off who was chosen....well really I start off with two for the early rounds and then rely on solely the positional sheet for the later rounds.

Too many lists and you'll go crazy...as I is I feel like a zombie and am very drained after a draft.
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby go_jays_go » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:52 am

A bobblehead.

That way, if you're confused on a pick, you could ask the bobblehead and it would give you an answer. :-b
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby rlee » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:09 am

go_jays_go wrote:A bobblehead.

That way, if you're confused on a pick, you could ask the bobblehead and it would give you an answer. :-b

And don't forget the Ouija Board so you will know who will be the next combination of Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, and Sandy Koufax B-)
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers