Crisp deal - what about Cleveland? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Crisp deal - what about Cleveland?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:36 pm

This trade makes sense for the Tribe IMO...

Crisp is overrated on this site, and I don't mean that in fantasy terms, as he's a great fantasy pick-up. And while there is nothing wrong with an .810 OPS, or a .345 OBP... There's other guys on that team that can perform well, and Marte is supposed to be a stud. Also, Crisp's speed isn't much help to the team in 2005 he stole 15 and got caught 6 times. In 2004 he stole 20 while getting caught an amazing 13 times.

Crisp is a good player, but there are many LFs in the game that can come in and produce similar numbers IMO.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:32 pm

GradySizemore wrote:Don't get me wrong he is a nice player but if you are to tell me right now honestly that you think Coco will have better numbers at the end of his career than what Marte will compile I will call you a fool!

For every propect that lives up to his expectations, there are dozens that come nowhere near them.

So while I do expect that Marte will have a fine career, since Crisp is already producing at a decent level, the odds that he'll have a better career are on his side, IMO. You can go ahead and call me a fool, but I'm not a believer that prospects are sure things.

I'm also not that optimistic that all sorts of .810 OPS LFs are hanging out at the unemployment office waiting for a call.

I just think its a curious deal to make in light of last season. Cleveland does have a lot of young talent so maybe they are building for the future. That does make sense, but if I was a Cleveland fan I would have expected a big push for this year. Trading a competent OF for a top prospect is about the future not about this year.

And not only can Blake and Boone be every bit as bad as they were last year, they could be worse.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Re: Crisp deal - what about Cleveland?

Postby Arlo » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:58 pm

swyck wrote:Can someone translate without using Yankee or Bosox colored glasses? 8-o

Let's just say that the Indians have coveted Marte for quite some time now. The feeling in Cleveland is that he'll be well worth any wait involved.

We'll see...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dicehound » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:01 pm

I have a hard time believing that Cleveland is going to sit tight and hand the full-time job to Michaels. I would guess they're either not done dealing or they're going to at least take a long look at guys like Brad Snyder and Franklin Gutierrez in spring training. Michaels is a decent player, but he's nothing more than a 4th outfielder IMO.
dicehound
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers