Crisp deal - what about Cleveland? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Crisp deal - what about Cleveland?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Crisp deal - what about Cleveland?

Postby swyck » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:57 pm

I'm a little surprised by this move, and I'd like to understand it from the Cleveland end of things.

Cleveland made a nice run in the second half last year, and has a good crop of young bats. Crisp was one of those bats so I dont follow the point of this deal.

Sure they could use a slugging 3B and Marte is a top prospect, but how much can really be expected from him this year? I thought Cleveland would be trying to make a run this year. THis deal doesnt sound like that at all.

Can someone translate without using Yankee or Bosox colored glasses? 8-o
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daullaz » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:07 pm

Jason Michaels can be every bit as good as Crisp if given the starting job (which looks likely). In my mind, they basically downgraded the bullpen for one of the best offensive prospects in baseball. Looks like a good deal to me.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby San D » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:20 pm

Speaking through Red Sox colored glasses B-) , I would rather have had the Sox trade one of their extra starters to Philadelphia for Michaels and keep Marte. Cleveland did fine.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby giants8307 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:25 pm

Is marte scheduled to start on opening day?
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Morrison8312 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:39 pm

giants8307 wrote:Is marte scheduled to start on opening day?

I would say no right now but that's just what I've heard
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby swyck » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:44 am

My question wasn't really answered.

I'm not disputing that Marte is a top prospect. I just dont believe he will be able to contribute significantly to Cleveland's title chances THIS YEAR. Am I wrong about that? I dont think you can expect any rookie, no matter how highly thought of, to be a major contributor, though it does sometimes happen.

And Michaels is nowhere near the player Crisp is. He doesn't have his power and he doesnt run the bases well.

Does that mean Cleveland is prepping for a run next year, or do they really have a plan?
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Another Blown Save » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:51 am

I think Cleveland is still planning to go to the playoffs and possibly win the WS. However, the Indians do not have to rush to win a championship, because their core players (VMart, Hafner, Peralta, Sizemore, CLee, Sabathia, etc.) are relatively young.
With that in mind, I think they thought that Marte had more upside then Crisp, and made the deal.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jvmillion83 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:00 pm

Part of it is money. The arbitration money that Crisp receives is alot for a club with a 75 million dollar budget. The other part is their farm system. The Indians actually have the OF/1b prospects so there thinking is to use Sizemore as a foundation and sort of merge everyone else in there towards the end of 06 like Ryan Garko and Gutierrez.
jvmillion83
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GradySizemore » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:50 pm

Mark Shapiro realizes that the Indians cannot go out and buy whatever players they need to fill holes in the roster. Sometimes you have to make a deal where you go one step back to go two steps forward in the future. In my opinion the production that the Indians got from Crisp will be made up from others around the team. Michaels will do a solid job. Sizemore is only getting better. There is no way Blake and Boone can be as bad as they were last year. As long as Hafner doesn't miss 20 games with a concussion again. The other thing that puzzles me, as a HUGE Indians fan I am saddend to see Crisp leave because he was such a fan favorite. The thing that I don't understand is when did Coco become this superstar that everyone is making him out to be. Don't get me wrong he is a nice player but if you are to tell me right now honestly that you think Coco will have better numbers at the end of his career than what Marte will compile I will call you a fool!
Thanks to go_jays_go for the sweet sig!
GradySizemore
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:29 pm

GradySizemore wrote:Mark Shapiro realizes that the Indians cannot go out and buy whatever players they need to fill holes in the roster. Sometimes you have to make a deal where you go one step back to go two steps forward in the future. In my opinion the production that the Indians got from Crisp will be made up from others around the team. Michaels will do a solid job. Sizemore is only getting better. There is no way Blake and Boone can be as bad as they were last year. As long as Hafner doesn't miss 20 games with a concussion again. The other thing that puzzles me, as a HUGE Indians fan I am saddend to see Crisp leave because he was such a fan favorite. The thing that I don't understand is when did Coco become this superstar that everyone is making him out to be. Don't get me wrong he is a nice player but if you are to tell me right now honestly that you think Coco will have better numbers at the end of his career than what Marte will compile I will call you a fool!
All I have to say is Brandon Phillips. Remember that guy? He was supposed to be the world when the tribe got him. By all accounts he was one of the best prospects around, but he still fell flat on his face. Crisp was already performing on the big league level that's why he went for so much. I'm not saying that I don't think this is a huge move for the Tribe, but it could go wrong.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers