BEST LINEUP IN THE AL? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BEST LINEUP IN THE AL?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Wozzyck wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:It always amuses me that as soon as someone makes a statement that goes against the norm and hurts the feelings of some homers, they get accused of being a hater.

Simple fact is I'm a realist with no allegiances who can see the woods for the trees, wear no one eyed patches, blinds or blinkers and think outside of the square.

Apparently realists with no allegiances can't be bothered to make cogent arguments, well-supported by statistical evidence. Hater? Probably not, and who cares. Delusional moron? :-?

For those SG-1 fans:

Hallowed is the James. Bow to the power of the James.

Where is Alan Embree when you need him?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:30 am

Ender wrote:
My point is that if you are going to compare offenses, you have to take into account where they play 50% of their games. Texas appears to be such a devastating offense largely due to their home ballpark. I'm not saying that they aren't a good hitting team, just that you need to look deeper....

You can't really seperate the team from the park in my opinion, nobody is ever going to agree on park effects and it just makes the entire process way too complicated. I do agree that a large part of Texas's offense is generated by the park but thats just how it goes, just like a lot of Oaklands pitching is generated by its park so their pitchers are never as good as their numbers.

Well if you are going to compare offenses directly to each other, then you need to level the playing field. I'm not saying you need to pull out any detailed equations pertaining to Park Factors, but just be aware of the environment somewhat. You just need to look at the Rockies home and away splits from 05 to realise how bad a team they are when they're not playing a mile above sea level. They would have scored a hell of alot less runs elsewhere in the country.

As for the pitching, the same applies. In 2005 Oakland gave up 314 Runs at home, as opposed to 280 Runs on the road, so I guess you can't say that their home park helps them.....they actually do better on the road. They might just be better than their numbers suggest.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby looptid » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:43 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
Wozzyck wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:It always amuses me that as soon as someone makes a statement that goes against the norm and hurts the feelings of some homers, they get accused of being a hater.

Simple fact is I'm a realist with no allegiances who can see the woods for the trees, wear no one eyed patches, blinds or blinkers and think outside of the square.

Apparently realists with no allegiances can't be bothered to make cogent arguments, well-supported by statistical evidence. Hater? Probably not, and who cares. Delusional moron? :-?

For those SG-1 fans:

Hallowed is the James. Bow to the power of the James.

Where is Alan Embree when you need him?

Keep assualting that strawman.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers