Verlander taking nothing for granted. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Verlander taking nothing for granted.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:32 pm

tthousand66 wrote:The Morning Guys on XM Radio's baseball station were just raving about Verlander and his 97 mph fastball this morning. They had a guy named Matt Anderson who threw 100 and screwed that up....let's hope we don't see a repeat.

Do I sound negative?
Fortunately there's a big difference. The only pitch that Anderson threw capably was his fastball and he usually had no idea where it was going. Verlander has shown some ability to command his fastball plus he has secondary pitches that are developing nicely to go along with it. He's clearly looking like the favorite to be the 5th starter, so I guess we're going to find out how close to MLB ready he really is sooner rather than later.

The minor leagues have been rebuilt since the Randy Smith days not only in players, but in coaches and other personnel. The guys responsible for screwing with Cornejo's mechanics, making Baugh log innings until his arm fell off, rushing Matt Anderson before he learned anything beyond an uncontrollable fastball, and competely ignoring the horrid mechanics of a fresh out of high school Matt Wheatland are nowhere to be found. I don't think anyone can make a promise that things will go perfectly and there will be no injuries to younger prospects going forward, I can say that things can't get any worse than they were during Randy Smith's reign. Injuries to pitchers happen from time to time just due to the mechanics of throwing a baseball, but it's clear there was more going on than just bad luck.

Let's just hope the success the team had with rebuilding Verlander and Zumaya's deliveries and command are a sign of things to come.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tthousand66 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:11 pm

I'm hoping you're right...but still skeptical. DD has done an admirable job imo.
"all i care about....is baseball"---Tyrus Raymond Cobb
tthousand66
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:30 pm

tthousand66 wrote:I'm hoping you're right...but still skeptical. DD has done an admirable job imo.
Skeptical of what exactly? That Verlander will be a legit MLB pitcher in some form or another? Or that he is the real deal talentwise like everyone says?

Personally, my ideal situation would be for Colon to win that 5th starters spot. He is a mystery. There is a claim that he is a much better starter than reliever, and a small sample size of stats seem to backup that claim. In the meantime, it would be great to see both Verlander and Zumaya in the Toledo rotation, which would hopefully be a preview of the future. And for good measure, put a soft tossing junkballer in between those two in the rotation and really screw with those AAA hitters. Depending on the performances of each player, a decision could be made a month or two into the year as to if a promotion or two is in order.

Regarding Ledezma, I have mixed feelings on him. I think he could be invaluable in the bullpen, but I also lean towards not wanting them to give up on him as a starter. Given concerns over his durability and the team's current roster, I'd probably lean towards keeping him in the bullpen if he looks good and healthy.

I'm thinking that there is enough talent on this staff with any of the aforementioned players that we should be able to forget about Sean Douglass, not that that's saying much. Hopefully it's good enough to forget about Jason Johnson as well, who was lights out at Comerica (2.76 ERA), but made Douglass look like a Cy Young winner in comparison elsewhere as opposing offenses teed off on him to a Seth Greisinger-esque ERA of 6.66. The Indians must've been envious of the Tigers last year, since they swooped in and signed both Johnson and Douglass.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tthousand66 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:07 pm

skeptical that Verlander (or anyone) can avoid the cursed Tigers prospects actually doing it at the mlb level. They have a track record of about ZERO% success since the 80's. It's like the Braves....until they do NOT win their division, you gotta see that as a trend that will continue on. (100% success in 14 straight years)
"all i care about....is baseball"---Tyrus Raymond Cobb
tthousand66
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby moochman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:39 pm

tthousand66 wrote:skeptical that Verlander (or anyone) can avoid the cursed Tigers prospects actually doing it at the mlb level. They have a track record of about ZERO% success since the 80's. It's like the Braves....until they do NOT win their division, you gotta see that as a trend that will continue on. (100% success in 14 straight years)

I thought you were both skepticle at the job DD is doing and admired it at the same time. Which would mean you aren't blind, but you're still a fan. While I pray that DD isn't just living on his past success, a success built on an open wallet and FA surprise world series. Take that away and what do you have?

And that is where my doubts arise. I hear the talk of Verlander/Zumaya, but have yet to see production. It's been, what 4 years? We should see better production from our minors then we have. Granderson could end up being a decent player, add to that Verlander and you have two players DD has produced. That's poor.

And there are years yet to wait for the help this team needs immediately. Where in the heck is a thirdbaseman? Catcher? DD has ignored the position players in the early parts of the draft in favor of pitchers. And we've yet to realize anything from those choices. Except for the promise of Verlander and the much quieter murmurs of Zumaya. There's a lot to be done before I can endorse the job that DD has done here.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:53 pm

moochman wrote:And that is where my doubts arise. I hear the talk of Verlander/Zumaya, but have yet to see production. It's been, what 4 years? We should see better production from our minors then we have. Granderson could end up being a decent player, add to that Verlander and you have two players DD has produced. That's poor.
I have to say, you may be one of the toughest critics I have ever seen. How fast do you expect players to be developed? Let's face it, there aren't many Priors and Zimmermans or even Jeff Weavers out there. 3-4 years is a very acceptable time frame for prospect to have to develop. High schoolers can take as many as 5-6 years. I think Granderson an Zumaya are great examples to give you a better idea of this timeframe required in developing players. Both were in DD's first draft, 2002. They are just now reaching the upper levels, with Granderson having already arrived due to having some college time versus Zumaya who was out of high school.

Can I guarantee that this franchise's farm system is completely turned around? No. But I can say that the shape it's in today is so much better than when DD took over that there is no comparison.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:23 pm

mcG, I do apologize. I don't want to be such a cynic. The years of hearing of prospects only to see them never arrive have taken away my ability to believe. I know there aren't many Priors out there, but we've been picking extremely early picks. There should be more to show for it, IMBO(in my bitter opinion :-b ), then two pitching prospects of which one is looked upon as a potentail stud and a OF who lacks arm strength and looks to have potential to be worthy of being on a MFB roster.

That's not much. Where are the other draft picks in the minors? Why is there so little buzz? Look at the other teams in our division, they are pumping out minor league talent with prospects on the horizen. Lots of these picks were taken in the last four years. DD is hanging his hat on Verlander being the beacon that rings in the end of decades of ineptitude in Detroit. But then what, where are the young studs that will form a team with V and lead us to the Series?

A high school kid is their 3rd best prospect in the whole system. That is alarming. Where have the rest of the picks gone?

On a positive note, is this the second year for Chad(sp)? Hopefully he will give us the solid drafts needed to compete. Mayben is a good start.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Detroit Tigers