Stephen Drew or Brandon Wood? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Stephen Drew or Brandon Wood?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stephen Drew
41%
Brandon Wood
59%

Total votes : 39

Postby DWright5 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:21 pm

if you had to pick one in a Minor League draft for a keeper league and both were available, who would you chose? i'm leaning towards Drew right now because he could start this year but Wood is a great player too.... help please!
DWright5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jenkins » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:41 pm

Wood still hasnt done much outside of A+ ball. He looks good offensively, but he is so big, I doubt he will make it to the Majors at SS. He will probably move to 3B. I think Wood has gotten blown out of proportion just for hitting all those HRs in A+ (hitters league at that). He probably will be good, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Anyways, I think the odds are on Drew to pan out before Wood (at least at SS)
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sultans of Squat » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:53 pm

Tough call. Yeah, I'd prefer to be a tad more conservative about Wood also given it's only been 1 (albeit monster) season at A+ ball. And Drew seems to have better shot at sticking w/ SS and will almost certainly make it to the MLB sooner.

I guess it depends on your situation. If you need a good SS asap, then go w/ Drew. If you can wait, then maybe it's worth waiting for Wood.
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:06 pm

Wood didn't just hit all those HR's in A ball...he had 101 extra base hits...51 doubles, 4 triples, a .321 BA and 1.054 OPS, then continued it in the AFL with a league record 14 homers and still hitting .307...he needs to cut down on his K's but his walk rate is decent. Even though he would most likely shift to 3rd, I would still take him over Drew.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby hybrid » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:58 pm

bigken117 wrote:Wood didn't just hit all those HR's in A ball...he had 101 extra base hits...51 doubles, 4 triples, a .321 BA and 1.054 OPS, then continued it in the AFL with a league record 14 homers and still hitting .307...he needs to cut down on his K's but his walk rate is decent. Even though he would most likely shift to 3rd, I would still take him over Drew.

The AFL is always a very hitter friendly and the pitching there is never good. In my mind Wood needs to do something at higher levels to deserve some of this hype he is now getting. When you go from all glove and no bat, to what he did ... I think it's fair to ask for more evidence that he is indeed that good.
Last edited by hybrid on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:16 pm

bigken117 wrote:Wood didn't just hit all those HR's in A ball...he had 101 extra base hits...51 doubles, 4 triples, a .321 BA and 1.054 OPS, then continued it in the AFL with a league record 14 homers and still hitting .307...he needs to cut down on his K's but his walk rate is decent. Even though he would most likely shift to 3rd, I would still take him over Drew.

Wood definitely had a great year, but I want to see him do it one more time before I label him a future great. As of right now, I would take Drew over Wood in most circumstances. But if Wood performs once again like he did this past year, then I will have Wood ahead of Drew next year(that is of course if Drew is still considered a minor leaguer by this time next year).
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:44 pm

Wood
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby El Gaupo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:16 pm

Wood is better
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DWright5 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:11 pm

bump... i really need help here
DWright5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:25 pm

Looking at a trade?
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball