CBS Sportsline For Dummies :) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

CBS Sportsline For Dummies :)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Brendo » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:25 pm

shortsavage wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:I prefer Yahoo 10 fold over CBS. I have a hard time finding the players that I want for my team on CBS, but can easily get the info from my yahoo leagues. I surely will do my best to never play in another Sportsline league. :-t


At what point do you attribute this to your familiarity with one layout over another and difficulty learning to understand a new system?

I don't get what's so hard about typing a player's name into the player search then clicking "add this player" if they are unowned or seeing their owner if they are owned.

It's quite obvious that most of the people who swear to never give CBS another shot know VERY little about CBS's software.

I strongly dislike debating CBS and yahoo with CAFE users ;-7.

Let's get back to questions about CBS O:-).


I've found people, particularly the users of this forum, defend Yahoo like it's a family member.

Which is fine. It's a good service, but for the most part there's a reason it's free. My keeper allows you to grandfather in position eligibilty (A-Rod at SS, Pujols at 3B). Yahoo doesn't allow that. My league owners like up to the minute stats, and reflected league standings. (Free) Yahoo doesn't offer that.

The few times I've had questions or complaints, I only get form lettered responses or a link to a FAQ page from Yahoo. It's been better at CBS.

Yahoo is fine, but it doesn't offer EVERYTHING. If you're ok with that, enjoy your saved money and defend it to the death at the cafe. :-o
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 583
Joined: 7 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:33 pm

I think the best part of CBS is the 'Sortable Stats'. I can generate sortable reports on pretty much whatever stats I want, for pretty much any time period I want. SLG over the past 10 days including OBP, AB, and BA? No problem. Then, I can look at that just with Free Agent OFers, change to FA catchers, and sort by each cat. It also saves the report so it's in the drop-down next time.

I also really like the live scoring, especially since they changed it to where you see the rest of your league in a table at the bottom of the page.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2079
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rays Country

Postby Sunspot » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:02 am

Every year my league votes on whether to keep going with CBS Sportsline or to try yahoo, CBS wins unanimously every year. All of the good things said about CBS in this forum are very true. Also, I can't understand why some of you say that you can't find players you want.....are you kidding me?.......CBS has a way larger player pool than yahoo.....and all it takes is typing their name in in order to find a player. Sportsline wins in a landslide.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 539
Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Gutter

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:27 am

CBS wins by a landslide. Not even close IMO. Especially for keeper leagues.
Image
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2395
Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochie » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:34 am

Does CBS have an example site I could look at to see what I would be getting if I coughed up the dough to use them?
moochie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sunspot » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:33 am

unfortunatly, I believe you would have to know someone who uses it and look at theirs.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 539
Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Gutter

Postby scotty5150 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:28 am

moochie wrote:Does CBS have an example site I could look at to see what I would be getting if I coughed up the dough to use them?

Actually, you can sign up for the commissioner package right now for free and take the grand tour. You won't have to decide to pay until February 16. If you don't want to stick around, simply don't buy the league. ;-D
Black Diamond League Commissioner
http://www.bdlbaseball.com
scotty5150
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 221
Joined: 1 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:46 am

shortsavage wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:I prefer Yahoo 10 fold over CBS. I have a hard time finding the players that I want for my team on CBS, but can easily get the info from my yahoo leagues. I surely will do my best to never play in another Sportsline league. :-t


At what point do you attribute this to your familiarity with one layout over another and difficulty learning to understand a new system?

I don't get what's so hard about typing a player's name into the player search then clicking "add this player" if they are unowned or seeing their owner if they are owned.

It's quite obvious that most of the people who swear to never give CBS another shot know VERY little about CBS's software.

I strongly dislike debating CBS and yahoo with CAFE users ;-7.

Let's get back to questions about CBS O:-).


Well - I have never been accused of being a slow learner and Ive played fantasy for years - in fact, I have been playing on CBS since they started offering it.

I hate CBSSportsline with a passion. Maybe it stems from the astoundingly poor fantasy advice they continue to put out (Im guessing - I havent read a fantasy article from that place in over 2 years - there is simply no reason to). Maybe its because their draft software was such a joke for so many years. Maybe its because they featured a point based H2H format as the default when I'm a roto guy and wouldnt dream of playing point based fantasy baseball leagues. Maybe its the slow load time and awkward configuration that I have never gotten used to. For whatever reason though, I absolutely detest anything that has to do with CBSSportsline.

With the stat/player search - why do they use "periods" instead of last month or last week? To me - thats the kind of thing that detracts from this site - I understand that I can customize it any way I want, but why set the default on a "period" that I have to look up the definition of just to understand what I'm looking at? Now, Im sure there is a logical answer why they use "periods", but the question still remains - why use it as the default when most people who play fantasy are looking for simple last month or week settings?

On the subject of keeper leagues and customization - first of all, I try and play a very vanilla type of fantasy baseball: 5x5 roto. I dont need a lot of customization, nor do I want exotic setups. Keeper leagues are great - but the keeper leagues I am in normally have a forum and homepage away from the league site and we tend to keep track of keepers and salaries ourselves - it really isnt that hard to do. So the benefit that CBS offers for keeper leagues isnt worth $130 bucks either.

I know a lot about CBS software. Like I said, I've played it literally every year. I cannot stand it and I refuse to play it anymore - last yr was hopefully the last time.

I just want you to understand that people who hate CBS normally have very good reasons for it. Dont try and say that people who dont like CBS dont know it - on the contrary Id say the people who dont like CBSSportsline know it very well.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Kavorka » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:04 pm

Our 12 team 7X7 H2H league has used Yahoo PLUS every year for the past 3 years. Other than their very vanilla format and not being able to post pictures Yahoo PLUS is excellant. Everyone gets Stat Tracker and info is very up to the minute.

As commish I tired CBS last year and didn't like what I saw. It is a bit flashier and has more bellls and whistles. The main reason we went back to Yahoo PLUS was that I was under the assumption that with CBS you need to set your lineup at NOON everyday regardless if players played day games or night games. Am I correct in that assumption?

Our league is a weekly 7X7 H2H league and if you can't set your lineup 5 minutes before game time then it is of no use to us.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 488
Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:20 pm

The Kavorka wrote:The main reason we went back to Yahoo PLUS was that I was under the assumption that with CBS you need to set your lineup at NOON everyday regardless if players played day games or night games. Am I correct in that assumption?

Our league is a weekly 7X7 H2H league and if you can't set your lineup 5 minutes before game time then it is of no use to us.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.


You're a little off. New for last season, CBS made it so you didn't have to set your lineup until 30 minutes before your first player's game. So, yahoo is still friendlier in terms of setting your lineup as close to gametime as possible.

BUT your commish can alter lineups at anytime. So, he/she could make changes for you. I had the owners in my league email me with last-minute changes and I would make them ASAP. This was easy for both parties and we had no problems.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 20:20 hours
(and 96 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact