CBS Sportsline For Dummies :) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

CBS Sportsline For Dummies :)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CBS Sportsline For Dummies :)

Postby scotty5150 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:43 pm

Hey guys.

I've decided to switch my league from Yahoo to Sportsline this year. I'm using the Commissioner package. I've begun the sign-up process, and just have a couple questions for those who have used Sportsline before. Hopefully this can be a tell-all Sportsline thread for us CBS rookies. :-D

1. Although sign-up has begun, I've noticed the matchups calendar is still showing 2005. When do they typically update that, along with other things?

2. We play H2H. There's no need to set a tiebreaker for stat cats for the regular season, but is there a way to set a tiebreaker for playoff matchups?

Any other nuggets of info you Sportsline vets wanna throw out there?

Thanks in advance.
Black Diamond League Commissioner
http://www.bdlbaseball.com
scotty5150
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:59 pm

1. The 2006 software will be put in place sometime during the first few weeks of February. Everything will be up to date and ready for 2006 then.

2. You can just avoid setting a tie-breaker during the regular season, and then set one up once playoffs start. That shouldn't be a problem.

It's kind of cool how they are giving earlybirds either a draft board, league champion t-shirt, or trophy this year.

The writers on the site were HORRIBLE last year, but at least they kept the price of the commish software the same as 2005 ($130).

CBS's live scoring and game tracker keeps getting better. I don't get how people rationalize playing free yahoo then buying stat tracker. By the time everyone in your league gets stat tracker you could have paid for CBS.

Sportsline continues to improve the depth of their player pool. And when they don't have someone in their system yet, you can easily create a temporary filler profile untill they make a real one.

Last year CBS made it so scheduling is automatically weighted toward divisional play ;-D. So, don't make divisions unless you want weighted play.

You can create any stat that is made from the 60 or so basic stats that CBS has. Like, you could have a league that gives weight to home runs per at bat.

I love writing and posting articles on my league's homepage. Although there aren't many formatting options, you can include a picture and caption with your article.

Having a league finance page is pretty handy.

The league record book section has potential.

I could keep going...but I'd just be rambling. Let me know if you have any questions. This will be my fourth year using the commish software.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby scotty5150 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:05 pm

Good to know about the 2006 software. Thanks.

So, basically, you can adjust the settings at any point during the season? (i.e. the playoff tiebreaker issue)

That was a lot of info, man. Thanks a lot! ;-D
Black Diamond League Commissioner
http://www.bdlbaseball.com
scotty5150
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shortsavage » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:16 pm

scotty5150 wrote:Good to know about the 2006 software. Thanks.

So, basically, you can adjust the settings at any point during the season? (i.e. the playoff tiebreaker issue)

That was a lot of info, man. Thanks a lot! ;-D

Yep, you should be able to adjust your settings midseason.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby mbuser » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:26 pm

shortsavage wrote: I don't get how people rationalize playing free yahoo then buying stat tracker. By the time everyone in your league gets stat tracker you could have paid for CBS.

or you could just get a yahoo PLUS league and everyone gets stat tracker
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby shortsavage » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:03 pm

mbuser wrote:
shortsavage wrote: I don't get how people rationalize playing free yahoo then buying stat tracker. By the time everyone in your league gets stat tracker you could have paid for CBS.

How much are PLUS leagues?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Jenkins » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:01 pm

I ve written a thread on this. CBS H2H doesnt have a minimum innings pitched option. This is my #1 complaint about it.

Besides that, it is one heck of a site.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mbuser » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:53 pm

shortsavage wrote:
mbuser wrote:

How much are PLUS leagues?

124.99 if i'm not mistaken
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Yahoo PLUS vs. CBS Commish league

Postby moochie » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:52 pm

Ok, I was considering taking my league from being a free Yahoo league up to being a Yahoo PLUS league ... is there a thread anyone can send me to that references the differences between these two pay options here? My league is a head-to-head, 10x10, non-auction, keeper league with minor league keepers as well. Is CBS that much better if at all?
moochie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Yahoo PLUS vs. CBS Commish league

Postby shortsavage » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:22 pm

moochie wrote:Ok, I was considering taking my league from being a free Yahoo league up to being a Yahoo PLUS league ... is there a thread anyone can send me to that references the differences between these two pay options here? My league is a head-to-head, 10x10, non-auction, keeper league with minor league keepers as well. Is CBS that much better if at all?

I've never spoken to anyone who has tried CBS and Yahoo PLUS. It would be interesting to hear comparisons between pay products from people who have tried them both.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers