I don't understand something - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I don't understand something

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I don't understand something

Postby TB13 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:12 pm

People are really high on David Wright, and (w)rightfully so. I see people ramming him into the top 20 player list. But what I do not understand is how can Wright be so high, and Utley not? Statistically, Utley had the better year. So if you say that Wright will improve, you would also have to say that Utley will as well. Utley hits in just as good a lineup and in a much, much better hitting park.
You have people that are trumpeting Wright as a boderlline 1st round pick (some have him ranked #12-15) and yet the same people then rank Utley around 30 overall.
How can one be so high on Wright and not on Utley? Due to the lack of quality 2nd basemen, and given their relative equal stats (Utley did have about 30-40 less at-bats), if Wright can be ranked in the top 15 players, how can Utley not be?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:19 pm

Wright had a more valuable year than Utley last year and he was much better the year before so he has more of a track record, I think wright has room to grow still look at his raw numbers but with that huge power spike by utley I think there is a good chance he regresses some instead of improving this year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby RugbyD » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:22 pm

stolen bases
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby NZF » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:24 pm

Batting Average and greater upside.

Wright is 23 and already boasts a career BA in excess of .300. Utley is 27 and has a .276.

Also, Utley still has to prove he can hit lefties. Although he had a great season in 2005 his BA against lefties was a paltry .219.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:24 pm

This is an excellent point. Utley will give you comparable stats at a position where it's tougher to find those kinds of numbers. So the auction bidding might be a little out of hand for Wright, while you can get close to the same stats (except the SB's) from a lot of other 3rd baseman. This way it's worth paying a little extra for Utley in my opinion, esp. since he might be batting clean-up in a good line-up and a park known for offense.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:34 pm

NZF hit it. Age difference, potential difference, and the inability so far to hit lefties. Wright without a doubt over Utley.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby TB13 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:15 pm

How did Wright have a better year? Utley had 32 less at-bats. He batted .291, 28 hrs, scored 93 runs & had 105 rbi's & an OPS of .915. Wright batted .306, scored 99 runs, 27hrs, had 102 rbi's & an OPS of .912.
Stolen bases? Wright had 17 & Utley had 16.
Utley did not start to figure out how to hit lefties until around August. NZF makes a point about age difference and potential. However, it is not like we are talking about a 30 year-old late boomer. Wright is 23 & Utley is 27. So what? How will that matter over the next 5 years? That is not an indicator that Wright's stats will get better, while Utley's will not. The age difference is not going to matter much over the next 5 years. Potential? Who said that Wright had more potential? Where is that written? Utley was a very highly regarded prospect. What is the indication that Wright has more?
Belive me, I am not arguing that Wright is not a top-flight player (though I do think he is getting a tad overrated). However, to simply dismiss Utley as an inferior talent is baseless.
I see no indication of who one can make a claim that over the next 5 years Wright will have better #'s than Utley will. Personally, given the ballpark that they play in, I would say that Utley is a better bet to put up better numbers.
This is just a debate off course, but I welcome all opinions and would like to know if people think that I am wrong, then why.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LiveForever » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:31 pm

TB13 wrote:How did Wright have a better year? Utley had 32 less at-bats. He batted .291, 28 hrs, scored 93 runs & had 105 rbi's & an OPS of .915. Wright batted .306, scored 99 runs, 27hrs, had 102 rbi's & an OPS of .912.
Stolen bases? Wright had 17 & Utley had 16.

Wright 99-27-102-17-306
Utley 93-28-105-16-291

Look pretty equal. However the kicker in my book is age

Wright 23
Utley 27

Wright still has ton of room to improve.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TB13 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:40 pm

LiveForever wrote:However the kicker in my book is age

Wright 23
Utley 27

Wright still has ton of room to improve.

Considering that both were rookies last year, how does Wright have room to improve, while Utley does not? And again I ask, when looking at the next 5 years, how is age going to matter?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:38 pm

Again, what about factoring in position scarcity when comparing these two? Don't you guys think 2B isn't that deep this year? There aren't many second basemen out there who will be able to help you in all 5 categories this year like Utley.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers