Matisyahu - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Matisyahu

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 1337_Dude » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:46 am

I don't really dig this guy, but i'm also not a very big fan of Rap/Reggae.

As to another part of this heated debate I really don't doubt that there is a lot positive rap, but it would seem that more then 50% of what i've heard (two years of having rap listening roommates) is pretty negative. Though I wouldn't say it's the most negative as Death Metal is pretty much all negative to me.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:55 am

I'm not a big fan of either, but comparing Death Metal to Rap is a weak comparison.

Death Metal is to Heavy Metal as Gangster Rap is to Rap.

Death Metal and Gangster Rap are sub-genres of larger genres and you're just so happening to pick the two negative sub-genres of their respected genres.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 1337_Dude » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:08 am

Phatferd wrote:I'm not a big fan of either, but comparing Death Metal to Rap is a weak comparison.

Death Metal is to Heavy Metal as Gangster Rap is to Rap.

Death Metal and Gangster Rap are sub-genres of larger genres and you're just so happening to pick the two negative sub-genres of their respected genres.

I wasn't comparing them. I was supporting that rap wasn't the most negative and then I said what kind of music I thought was.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Phatferd » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:39 am

You can't compare Rap as a whole to Death Metal. You would have to compare Death Metal to Gangster Rap. You are comparing them. You may say you aren't, but in reality you are. You are saying Death Metal is more negative, however, you would have to compare it to something to make a statement like that.

You are taking a general style and comparing it to a specfic sub-genre. You would have to compare Gangster Rap or another sub-genre to Death Metal since Death Metal is a sub-genre itself.

It's all arbitrary though. Nobody can say with 100% assurance what is the most negative style of music. It's all relative. To one person something is more negative than something else.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 1337_Dude » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:04 am

When I say “is the most negative" I'm generally taking all music into consideration not just rap. I'm sorry if you didn't realize that or if I didn't make myself clear. I'm saying as a whole the most negative type of music is Death Metal. I mean you can break it down into gangster rap or whatever. I just assumed people would realize that when you're making such a wide generalization that it goes without saying you're taking all genres/sub-genres into account and not just one or two. If you think I'm taking a stab at rap, you, or something else... sorry?

Anyway ACS... sorry for hi-jacking the thread over nonsense.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:06 pm

Have you guys listened to Bezerker Bluegrass.....

Its super negative bluegrass music... They talk about riding tractors into town and shooting all the livestock...

pretty awesome
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bronxxbomber » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:09 pm

Phatferd wrote:You can't compare Rap as a whole to Death Metal. You would have to compare Death Metal to Gangster Rap. You are comparing them. You may say you aren't, but in reality you are. You are saying Death Metal is more negative, however, you would have to compare it to something to make a statement like that.

You are taking a general style and comparing it to a specfic sub-genre. You would have to compare Gangster Rap or another sub-genre to Death Metal since Death Metal is a sub-genre itself.

It's all arbitrary though. Nobody can say with 100% assurance what is the most negative style of music. It's all relative. To one person something is more negative than something else.
Of course I can compare them, it's called my opinion. And right or wrong I can make opinion based on my experience. That's what being going on throughout this thread. There are a lots of people who don't like/respect Rap and that's cool. I just let them know I like it. And this gangsta rap people talk about is really dead. People just can't let go of the NWO and Cypruss Hill days. The gangsta rap we here these is just corporate garbage for particular markets.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:16 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:
Phatferd wrote:You can't compare Rap as a whole to Death Metal. You would have to compare Death Metal to Gangster Rap. You are comparing them. You may say you aren't, but in reality you are. You are saying Death Metal is more negative, however, you would have to compare it to something to make a statement like that.

Of course I can compare them, it's called my opinion. And right or wrong I can make opinion based on my experience. That's what being going on throughout this thread. There are a lots of people who don't like/respect Rap and that's cool. I just let them know I like it. And this gangsta rap people talk about is really dead. People just can't let go of the NWO and Cypruss Hill days. The gangsta rap we here these is just corporate garbage for particular markets.

I wasn't attacking you, but becuase you feel the need to attack me without reading then let's break this down.

All I said, if you read my post with an open mind, you would see that all I said is you cannot compare Death Metal to Rap as a whole. There is no debating this, its simple. You can compare Death Metal to gangster rap, Emo, Dance Techno, etc... Why is this? Because all of these are sub-genres.

You cannot compare a broad genre to a sub genre when discussing what is the most positive, negative, friendly, spiritual, etc...

That's like saying I am going to compare drug use amongst white males who live in Compton, California with those who live in Illinois. You would have to compare Compton to Chicago, Champagne, etc...

I never said you cannot have an opinion, I was saying that you cannot compare a sub-genre to another normal genre.

I wasn't even referring to you. I was referring to the other gentleman. He said he wasn't comparing the two sub-genres, he was referring to all music as a whole.

He then told me he wasn't comparing, but he is. Even if it's all of music as a whole, he is still comparing it. He responded to me and I chose not to respond back because I didn't want to get into a flame war, but now you decide to attack me without even reading what I said, so I felt the need to clarify some things.
Last edited by Phatferd on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:16 pm

Group hug anyone?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bronxxbomber » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:34 pm

acsguitar wrote:Group hug anyone?
No need. I got nothing but respect for the guy. I just wanted to make sure he understands where I'm coming from.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk