acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ron Santo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:00 pm

Yecch.
I guess Barrett is the best option. :,-(
"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."-- Rogers Hornsby
Ron Santo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:07 pm

Roadrunner - has the punt-catcher strategy worked pretty well for you in terms of going deep into the fantasy playoffs? I'm always looking for places to save $ so I can put more into other categories or positions in an auction, so I'm curious if that's worked well for you.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby roadrunner » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:32 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Roadrunner - has the punt-catcher strategy worked pretty well for you in terms of going deep into the fantasy playoffs? I'm always looking for places to save $ so I can put more into other categories or positions in an auction, so I'm curious if that's worked well for you.

yes it has, except you know that an active manager is a competive manager. I only punt catcher for reasons stated above. I would rather have two decent closers and a few guys with speed because those are usually scoring catagories in every league.

and usually you have to be bad somewhere on your roster, and i like 2b and SS too much to miss out on those positions and catcher is usually always a dilured position for fantasy, so i go into my draft knowing even if a 4th tier catcher is still available in the 15th round, i'll be passing him up for a 4th or 5th OF, or 4th SP, or utility IF

You see guys reach for players like LoDuca because they need to fill that spot but they pass on 3 or 4 catagory players to do so and that messes up their draft (i Think)
Basically if i can't land the #1catcher (say VMART) then i don't want to think about that position until 20th round or so

Another reason for this thinking is > some SP's have specialized catchers who may only play once every 5 games, but that could take away a start for my catcher if i have an SP who uses a specialized catcher
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:42 pm

That's an interesting approach, I might use it this year. Plus there are always occasional sleepers at the catcher position just like with any other spot, so you may even still get a good one off waivers well after draft/auction day. Last year's examples of free agent catcher pick-ups in my league were Shelton, Inge, Barajas, Doumit, and more that I'm not thinking of. I even got Estrada and Larue off waivers at my #2 catcher spot, and they provided decent enough production for me.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers