What do you do when auction prices get out of control? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you do when auction prices get out of control?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Surfs up » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:53 pm

This is what happens in my AL only. Our prices are no where near what projected dollars values on very site I look at. And I mean every site.As the supply gets lower the prices climb. Kevin mench in the middle rounds went for $29.00. Damon $33.00. Even Orlando Hudson went for $23.00 in the middle rounds because the so called stars were gone.Manny was called out early and went for $52.00. You can sit back and let the parade go by but you will miss out on the big guys. Bargins at the end? Not really. You might get lucky like the guy did with garland lsat year going for $6.00 but going into the draft he wasn't really worth $6.00.Auctions drafts are lots of fun. We all guess what a few players will go for before the draft and its interesting to see how close we come.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 200)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:27 pm

I play in one draft league and one auction league, and I much prefer the auctions. It's just way more exciting. We sit down for about 3-4 hours and the adrenaline is constant + most importantly everyone has an equal chance at every player, and you might see 10 different strategies with 10 different owners.

It beats the hell out of waiting 10 minutes between picks and I think it takes a lot more skill and quick thinking. I still do the draft league 'cause it's with work buddies, but it always feels dull compared to the auction.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby converge241 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:47 pm

i prefer auction way over draft for baseball and football

prices always go out of control on a few of the top guys..and i let them because it's still easy to build a winning team without putting all of your salary eggs in one basket

and what happens if youve blown all that money on one guy and he goes down? you better have fantasy player insurance! (which is a great concept! wonder how those guys are doing who made that)

in my auction league (which is 315 cap) pujols, arod and maybe someone else will hover around the 100 dollar mark..think about that 1/3 of your (large) salary cap tied up on 1/23rd of your roster!!
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby crapshooter » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:27 pm

In an auction you HOPE that the prices soar during the first part of the draft. You want to go into the last half of the draft with the most money...you can then get some real bargins to keep.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers