What do you do when auction prices get out of control? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you do when auction prices get out of control?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BeefSandwiches » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:31 pm

roadrunner wrote:a question pertaining to auction leagues.
what happens after the draft?
Do players carry a value throughout the season, even if the are in the free agent pool.
Do you need to keep your roster at or under $300 all season or does it only pertain to the draft??

It varies - in salary cap leagues, the player usually carries his vaule and you need to keep you team under a set limit for the year. In some leagues, the auction is simply a method for drafting and then it's business as usual after that.
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:39 pm

Isn't 300 more than usual for an auction draft?

And wow, Arod for 61? Anyway, try and wait for those values later on. Don't be afraid to overbid a tiny bit on guys you'd really like, but watch out going over by 5 or more. Finding the value in auction drafts is your best bet.

Street's price isn't that bad, is it? Top 12 closers or so are usually worth the 25 range or more. Any thoughts?
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:15 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Isn't 300 more than usual for an auction draft?

And wow, Arod for 61? Anyway, try and wait for those values later on. Don't be afraid to overbid a tiny bit on guys you'd really like, but watch out going over by 5 or more. Finding the value in auction drafts is your best bet.

Street's price isn't that bad, is it? Top 12 closers or so are usually worth the 25 range or more. Any thoughts?

$250 is usual i think. So you gotta bear that in mind when evaluating these values, they're still very high, but not as ridiculous as they would be in a normal auction.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby bellings » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:53 pm

BritSox wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:Isn't 300 more than usual for an auction draft?

$250 is usual i think. So you gotta bear that in mind when evaluating these values, they're still very high, but not as ridiculous as they would be in a normal auction.

Yeah, $300 is higher than normal. I chose this number because I was going to have more minor-leaguers that needed to be paid (but I cut it down to 5), and it changes the game so that people have to think for themselves and not just look at cheat sheets.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: What do you do when auction prices get out of control?

Postby thinkspin » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:56 pm

bellings wrote:
Albert Pujols, 1B, STL, SOLD $59.50
Jason Varitek, C, BOS, SOLD $21
Delmon Young, OF, TB, SOLD $27
Zach Duke, P, PIT, SOLD $20
Giles, Marcus 2b Braves, SOLD $26
Huston Street, RP, Oak, SOLD $26
Bengie Molina, C, FA, SOLD $7
Johan Santana, SP, Twins, SOLD $46
Jose Reyes SS Mets, SOLD $34
Doug Davis, SP, MILW, SOLD $19

These guys aren't as overvalued as you think. If you run your numbers with last years stats. AROD would have earned $61. When I run them with the projections at RotoSpin, most of these players are within a few dollars of what we are projecting.
thinkspin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Scarp » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:14 pm

$260 is the norm for 23 players.

This league in discussion has 30 players and a starting lineup of:

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3OF, 2UT, 3SP, 2RP, 3P and a Bench of 12.

6x6 Scoring

So even if you figure that you are going to max out $ for your starters and spend only $1 on 12 reserves, it still only leaves $15.60 per player on average (most people spent about $7 on minor leaguers).
Scarp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Wharton93 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:17 pm

Any good online draft sites for an _auction_? There are plenty of snake draft options, but trying to find a couple options for auctions.
Wharton93
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:09 pm

In an 18 team league you are almost guarenteed to be starting a few $1 players in your normal lineup. Top of the line players become more valuable the deeper the league becomes. Sure there are a few of the players that are overpriced in the list, but nothing real dramatic.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:24 pm

Many "standard" auction leagues are 12 team, $260.

For your league, you have to run your league parameters through some of the valuation calculators to determine what values "should" be for your league. The more players drafted and the more money to spend, the higher the prices will be.

That said, I agree with those that say to stick with your values. If people are consistently going for inflated values, deflation must occur at some point and you will be able to reap the benefits.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby swyck » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:41 pm

I'm in my first auction, standard 12 team 5x5 roto $260, and having a blast, even though I've only drafted one player so far.

I've noticed some players going very high based on where I had them. I'm trying to stick to my valuations, hoping to get some good deals in the middle rounds.

I'm also trying to be flexible as well. I dont believe you can say that player X is worth $20 and not a penny more. A range of numbers is probably more realistic, but hard to put together. IMO I'll go a couple of bucks over my line if the player is solid. Still, I dropped out of the Pujols running at $40. :( I think he went for $47.

I'd be interested in hearing how people come up with their valuations.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers