GQ's Top 10 Most Hated Athletes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

GQ's Top 10 Most Hated Athletes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: GQ's Top 10 Most Hated Athletes

Postby jzfran » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:17 pm

Coppermine wrote:04. Curt Schilling, Baseball : The other Sox fans, what are your thoughts? I've definitely heard that Schilling is a jerk, not just on the field but off. Apparently he's the prima donna of baseball, posing for pictures and showing himself off to the media. But does he really deserve number 4?

I'm biased. I love Schill, but why the hate? I believe he won the MLB award for charity work a few years ago and he does a lot for the community. Also, he really seems to care about the sport of baseball as a whole, not just himself or the $$$.
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:52 pm

1337_Dude wrote:
Coppermine wrote:06. Michael Iocanelli, Fishing : This is the one that's getting most attention for a few reasons. One is that he's a bass fisherman, and last I checked, anglers aren't really athletes. Apparently in the southern-conservative sport of fishing, this Jersey-ite yells and swears at the fish. Sounds like just the thing bass fishing needs; to bad I still don't watch it.

How can this guy bother anyone. I mean who is around to hear him yell at the fish? If this guy is on there why not Pete Weber?

8-o

Pete Weber? 8-o You don't watch much bowling, do you? Here's a prime example of the type of person Pete Weber is........

A couple of weeks ago in the finals on television, on Sunday, Weber was facing Ryan Shafer. Turns out there was an altercation between Shafer and Norm Duke (a crowd favorite) Friday night when they faced each other, and it wasn't too pretty from what I'm told. Anyway, the crowd during the television show was booing Shafer, calling him names, and just generally doing whatever they could in order to get under his skin. When the match was over and Weber beat Shafer, he went over and told Shafer to just ignore the crowd since the problem was only between him and Duke, that he was still a good champion (Shafer has won tournaments in the past), and would be a good champion again some day. The only reason this conversation was heard was because Shafer was wearing a microphone. Weber also noted that Shafer was a tough competitor, had to put up with a lot of extra pressure, was a good champion, and would be a good champion again, when they interviewed him and presented the trophy.

Not to mention that Pete is a very down to earth person. I've had the pleasure of speaking with him on several occasions and he's always acted with class and respect.

Contrary to popular belief, bowlers are just as big of competitors as any other athletes out there. What you see on the television finals when Pete is fighting for a title doesn't mean he's a bad guy. He's just intense, which is common for most athletes when they are on the job. The money for winning isn't too bad either, seeing as how 1 bad shot, or 1 bad break can cost the bowler quite a bit of money. Golfers are the same in that respect. No guaranteed million dollar contracts here.

Biggest surprise for me is that Artest wasn't on the list. 8-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:13 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I too am a bit surprised not to see Artest's name on that list. Same goes for Tie Domi. Honestly, is there really a more hated man in professional hockey than Domi? The guy gets into it with everybody, fans included. Also somewhat surprised not to see David Beckham on the list. For as many people that adore him, there are at least as many who hate him.

Tie Domi is no jerk, he's a character guy all-around, and has done a ton of positive things in the Toronto community over his career here.

That one incident with the fan from Philadelphia wasn't his fault either. The guy was leaning over the penalty box glass, while pouring his beer all over him. Then the glass broke through and he fell right into the box. What did you think Domi was going to do? Just let the entire incident slide?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby ensanimal » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:27 am

kimchi_chigae wrote: no hockey guys in the list? how about daniel alfredsson? :-b

Only Leafs fans would think that right now. ;-7 :-b
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 111)

Postby bronxxbomber » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:48 am

I think Todd Bertuzzi should be on the list after the crap he pulled a while ago.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:04 am

mweir145 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I too am a bit surprised not to see Artest's name on that list. Same goes for Tie Domi. Honestly, is there really a more hated man in professional hockey than Domi? The guy gets into it with everybody, fans included. Also somewhat surprised not to see David Beckham on the list. For as many people that adore him, there are at least as many who hate him.

Tie Domi is no jerk, he's a character guy all-around, and has done a ton of positive things in the Toronto community over his career here.

That one incident with the fan from Philadelphia wasn't his fault either. The guy was leaning over the penalty box glass, while pouring his beer all over him. Then the glass broke through and he fell right into the box. What did you think Domi was going to do? Just let the entire incident slide?

Tell that to Scott Niedermayer - that was one of the dirtiest most cowardly hits in the history of pro sports.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:08 am

jzfran wrote:
Coppermine wrote:04. Curt Schilling, Baseball : The other Sox fans, what are your thoughts? I've definitely heard that Schilling is a jerk, not just on the field but off. Apparently he's the prima donna of baseball, posing for pictures and showing himself off to the media. But does he really deserve number 4?

I'm biased. I love Schill, but why the hate? I believe he won the MLB award for charity work a few years ago and he does a lot for the community. Also, he really seems to care about the sport of baseball as a whole, not just himself or the $$$.

I can tell you that Schilling really just cares about himself and the $$$. He does do charity work with the MLBPA, but that doesn't change the fact that his teammates and coaches over the years will contest to the fact that he's a real self-centered prick. Not in the same way as Bonds, but still in a way.

For instance, it's pretty widely believed in baseball that the "bloody sock" from the playoff's two years ago was fake.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:19 pm

I hate schilling because he's a redsox and a republican
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby djacks » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:47 pm

acsguitar wrote:I hate schilling because he's a redsox and a republican

...and that's why I love him... :-D
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:11 pm

djacks wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I hate schilling because he's a redsox and a republican

...and that's why I love him... :-D

Nice av Dwight!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero